Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Christmas time again. Here come the e-cards :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas time again. Here come the e-cards :(

blair

Christmas time again. Here come the e-cards :(

Its that time of year again.

The time of year where people are sending huge amounts of those ecards to friends and relatives.

We had a client yesterday send a 1.45mb file to over 150 people though our smtp server.

I was wondering, is there a way to completely stop executables being downloaded or sent through the server?

Thanks for you help

johnqpublic

Re: Christmas time again. Here come the e-cards :(

Yep,get a bigger hammer!

blair

Ahh, I see.

So where exactly do I use the hammer?

Because I got a couple places where it'll fit. On the smtp server for a start. Plus i could use a couple on the clients themselves, that might just work.

/sarcasm

(sorry, can't resist it)
    *Posts the question to Ask Slashdot*

On a more "down to earth" note, can't you just make a filter that refuses emails over a set size (just don't ask me how to do it....)
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

On a more "down to earth" note, can't you just make a filter that refuses emails over a set size (just don't ask me how to do it....)
    Or just maybe a filter that restricts certain extensions...but the same applies I don't know how to do it, JimH or Spot will prolly be able to help ya better! :-[

Aragorn

Edit: From what I see in the newsgroups there is a smtp filter that you can restrict extensions with, don't know where or how th change it though... :-/ Yet from what I can pick up you have to set it through the proxy?!?
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Its that time of year again.

The time of year where people are sending huge amounts of those ecards to friends and relatives.

We had a client yesterday send a 1.45mb file to over 150 people though our smtp server.

I was wondering, is there a way to completely stop executables being downloaded or sent through the server?

Thanks for you help
    A couple links to get you started.

http://www.procmail.org/
    http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/pr...-security.html

Jim H

blair

Ahh Thanks for your help.

I've looked at procmail and can't find out if it will support what I am trying to achieve. I'll explain.

I need sendmail to check the message _before_ it actually downloads the attachment. If it contains and exe/pif/scr/com/bat etc I want it to be rejected and replaced with a text file explaining to the users where their attachment has gone.

Can procmail let me do this?

JimH

Ahh Thanks for your help.
    I've looked at procmail and can't find out if it will support what I am trying to achieve. I'll explain.
    I need sendmail to check the message _before_ it actually downloads the attachment. If it contains and exe/pif/scr/com/bat etc I want it to be rejected and replaced with a text file explaining to the users where their attachment has gone.
    Can procmail let me do this?
    Yes, procmail is exactly what you are looking for. It will either process messages as they are being downloaded to your mail server or after they have already been downloaded.

Quote:
    Procmail is a program that processes email messages looking for particular information in the headers or body of each message, and takes actions based on what it finds.

The incoming messade can either be stripped of attachments or rejected and returned to the sender.

Another link that might be helpful.
    http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

I have never configured Procmail, it is one of those "want to keep getting around too projects". ;D It will do exactly what you need.

Jim H

JimH

Another link that might also be of interest.

http://www.amavis.org/

Jim H

blair

Hi

I've followed the links and ended up at a page called Rays-filter.

He has implemented procmail (i think) into his sendmail scripts. The trouble I am having is when I try to build the scripts. Here is what I get:

> ./build rays-filter
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o: In function `mlfi_envfrom':
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:371: undefined reference to `smfi_setpriv'
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o: In function `mlfi_envrcpt':
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:382: undefined reference to `smfi_getpriv'
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:385: undefined reference to `smfi_getpriv'
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:387: undefined reference to `smfi_getpriv'
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o: In function `save_boundary':
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:419: undefined reference to `smfi_getpriv'
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:420: undefined reference to `smfi_getpriv'
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o:/tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:465: more undefined references to `smfi_getpriv' follow
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o: In function `mlfi_eom':
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:885: undefined reference to `smfi_setreply'
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:911: undefined reference to `smfi_getpriv'
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o: In function `get_username':
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:952: undefined reference to `smfi_getpriv'
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o: In function `make_filename':
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:982: undefined reference to `smfi_getpriv'
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o:/tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:1013: more undefined references to `smfi_getpriv' follow
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o: In function `mlfi_cleanup':
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:1053: undefined reference to `smfi_setpriv'
    /tmp/ccAnpLf6.o: In function `main':
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:1247: undefined reference to `smfi_setconn'
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:1251: undefined reference to `smfi_register'
    /tmp/rays-filter-1.14/rays-filter.c:1272: undefined reference to `smfi_main'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I have no experience in almost every programming language, except for a limited understanding of vb, so I don't have any idea what the script errors are syaing to me :P

Could you help me out?