Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

DNS, my domain name, and static IP

Thread: DNS, my domain name, and static IP

DNS, my domain name, and static IP

Currently someone else is hosting my domain name. (dns2go). In the very near future I am breaking out of the dynamic IP world for a static. My question is this:

Example www.mydomain.org
    ns1.dnsblue.com
    ns2.dnsblue1.com

With a Static IP can I host my domain name and will that change the nslookup values.

If this can be done what do I need to use bind, named etc?

If a static IP is not going to be the end all then what is the sense of having it?

I have a linksys router currently setup to resolve the dynamic ip and both computers are then setup with an internal static ip. When I get the static IP do I set the router up with the static and keep the two internal static ip's?

Oh and the ever popular question is there a book out there that is written in dumb terms so that I can understand it. I have checked out and tried to implement the majority of dns howto's and have had no luck.

Thanks
    Rastar

Re: DNS, my domain name, and static IP

If you have a static IP, you just need to purchase a domain (which you've probably already done) and set up a DNS server, like bind. I've set up bind before myself. I don't know much about it though. And I haven't seen any really easy tutorials on it. But I managed to wing my way through it so it can't be that hard.

Oh and the ever popular question is there a book out there that is written in dumb terms so that I can understand it. *I have checked out and tried to implement the majority of dns howto's and have had no luck.

Thanks
    Rastar
    I have managed to get a DNS server running on my internal network, using tutorials from the net, but it took me a few goes to get it happening. I wouldn't want to put it out on the network until I have read a book or two, though. I am waiting for "DNS and Bind, 4th Ed" to get unpacked at Dymocks (got a book voucher for Christmas ), as I have found that the tutorials leave a lot of unanswered questions. "DNS and Bind" seems to be the definitive reference for matters DNS, judging by the reviews at Amazon.com, and some of the DNS sites.

I have a linksys router currently setup to resolve the dynamic ip and both computers are then setup with an internal static ip. When I get the static IP do I set the router up with the static and keep the two internal static ip's?
    If you only have one static IP, and two machines, then I imagine that the current set-up would be the best for you. It really depends upon your set-up, and what you intend to do. You could ditch the router, make one machine a firewall (with two interfaces, one external, the other internal), and run the second machine, or, indeed, as many machines as you want, off the firewall.

There are dozens of correct answers to some of your questions. The best thing for you to do would be to check out a few (as many as you can find) tutorials (www.linuxdoc.org is as good a place to start as any), and get a firm idea of what you want. You will find that as you develop ideas, others will appear, and annoy the fsck out of you, because you thought you had it sorted last week

Or get some other company to do your DNS for you. I think dyndns.org has a deal on that, for like $30 for life they will point to your static/dynamic IP with your registered domain name.

Advisor

Or host your domain at zoneedit.com, you can control all teh dns settings your self, and it is a nice interface they provide.