Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mail Server

Thread: Mail Server

Mail Server

I'm trying to get a mail server setup... It has Debian on it and I have installed qpoppoer and sendmail... I Installed it but I am not sure if I want it beucase I have constantly heard that it is a security hole.. How can I setup a mail server that will allow me to send mail but like only with a password if your a remote user... That way if I am on my box I wont need to type in password unless I'm connecting like from work...

Or what do you suggest...

Re: Mail Server

If have run sendmail for sometime with no problems. What you want to do is make sure you have the most current version. And, after it is set up, runn something like nessus against it, and it will tell you the holes and how to plug them. most of the problems with sendmail come from misconfigurations or loose restrictions which allow people to relay mail through your host, log onto the server from a telnet session, and generally gain some basic information about users or the sendmail version number. Always check the security bulletins on for the latest root-level compromises and other security hole (as you should for most services running on your servers)and you should be ok.

If you tighten things up, you have little problems. To support remote users you will most likely have to loosen your relaying rules. Qpopper, or any pop3 or imap package, should always require a password to be exchanged in order to retrieve mail any at all.

That being said, sendmail.cf is a bitch to edit. If you go with sendmail, I suggest using something like Webmin for daily administration tasks.Or use something like Qmail or postfix. i've heard a lot of great things about both those smtp servers.

If you are using sendmail or postfix, you can always use a web-based mail interface like neomail, or hack one together from perl or php.

Hope this helps some.

I'm trying to get a mail server setup... *It has Debian on it and I have installed qpoppoer and sendmail... *I Installed it but I am not sure if I want it beucase I have constantly heard that it is a security hole.. *How can I setup a mail server that will allow me to send mail but like only with a password if your a remote user... *That way if I am on my box I wont need to type in password unless I'm connecting like from work...

Or what do you suggest...
    Is it important that you have remote access? Because if you don't, I'd suggest just running an open relay and then firewalling it off so it can only be accessed locally (this is the most painless solution).

Also, forget sendmail, get yourself postfix. Much more secure, and easier to configure.

Is it important that you have remote access? Because if you don't, I'd suggest just running an open relay and then firewalling it off so it can only be accessed locally (this is the most painless solution).

Also, forget sendmail, get yourself postfix. Much more secure, and easier to configure.
    I must be among the crazy few who actually likes using sendmail. Then again, I have never tried anything else. However, I will second the vote for postfix, as I have never heard anyone say anything bad about it. And as Feztaa said, do you really need remote access? If so, I would suggest setting up a web based log in. This way you can allow realying only from boxes on your LAN and keep the imap and pop ports closed up at the firewall. (You'll only need 25 and 80 open to the world).

Good Guru

You said,
    I'd suggest just running an open relay and then firewalling it off so it can only be accessed locally.
    Then you said,
    Do I see contradiction here? If you are firewalling off, why is it a security concern for a piece of software?

I will third the idea of running postfix though.... It's much more simpler and based on real English words rather than cryptic words... ;D

Do I see contradiction here? If you are firewalling off, why is it a security concern for a piece of software?
    Did you miss the part where I said it was easier to configure?

/me uses courier-mta. COMPLETE system WAAAAAYYY cool. ESMTP/pop3d/imapd/webmail/ mysql auth( no local users )/postgreauth/dbfile auth/ldap auth/pam auth/maillist support/serverside filters/easy bofh blocking/groupware calandering via webmail/maildir OR spool delivery (loose some functionality with spool delivery)/wrappers to replace current sendmail/etc etc/ use in whole, or just certian parts with other sytems...

teh maillist is awesome for help, and the software is under active development, and the author actually takes suggestions, and listens to his userbase!!!

www.courier-mta.org

exim - it totally and utterly 0wnz

Does anyone know how I am supposed to configure it when I do a apt-get install postfix.. It asks me different questions but I am not sure what I should answer... All I want is for it to send and recieve and that it can block all my junk mail.....