Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti-spam

anti-spam

Is there some anti-spam software available for linux?
    If there is then where I can download it?
    thx.

Re: anti-spam

It's called sendmail or courier or pick-your-mta.

Running your own mail server is the way to go man, get spam, simply add thier address to the bofh file, and bam, no more email from that address, or that domain, OR ANY mta that is associated with that domain. I NEVER get spam anymore, more than the first peice..

that and I always give out the spamtrap address when registering for crap... works long enough to register, but then have a cron job rm'n the inbox everynight at midnight...

I should have been more specific.....we run NAI Webshield for scanning incoming mail (it has anti-spam protection), Webshield forwards it Novell GWIA server that has anti-spam enabled.
    We still have some spam....my question actually is:
    Is there some software running on Linux that can enhance anti-spam protection we already have?
    thx.

AFAIK no. You can however ban the known openrelay/spam networks. there are a few servers that maintain these blacklists... I can't think of them off the top of my head, but when I was installing/configuring courier I ran across them...

The problem is, spam is hard to detect... most antispam is proreactive. You get spam, you then ban the sender/domain that it came from. Proactive anti-spam is tough to do, aside from banning the openrelay servers... and known massmailer servers.

thanks.

Running your own mail server is the way to go man, get spam, simply add thier address to the bofh file, and bam, no more email from that address, or that domain, OR ANY mta that is associated with that domain. *I NEVER get spam anymore, more than the first peice..
    Hey KP what file do i add spamers addres to? I have been playing with different mail servers right know I am playing around with eximn (sp?)...

Even with all this protection, more spam will invariably slip through. There will always be another genius spammer that's figured out another way to bypass your spamfilters.

For example, I'm currently dealing with a spammer who's messages are all entirely different, except for one thing. The only part of each email that is consistent with the others is that the message id's are all "@AAAA-##.mail.home.com", so it's easy to procmail them out, but it's hard to catch the bastard and LART him. I just forward it all to spamcop.

In fact, you should be forwarding all your mail to spamcop, they are really good at killing spammers. I used to get lots of spam, but since I found spamcop, the spam I get has been decreasing.

Faztaa, block him at the MTA level. Figure out which servers he is using to spam, and block them.

As for the file to add to, I'm not sure on Exim. With courier, there is a handy bofh file. I kid you not, /etc/courier/bofh is my blacklist file based on address/domain blocking. Then the /etc/courier/smtpaccess file lets me block entire IPranges or sets of MTA's.

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stori...226.razor.html
    This article might be interesting. It tells you how to install spam blocking software. Its part of a distributed anti-spam network AFAIK. It doesn't say it will block all spam, but it probably helps reduce any that you might have.

Sendmail is the gay! 8) PostFix || Exim || Qmail 8)