Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Samba: Win2k, Mandrake 8.1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samba: Win2k, Mandrake 8.1

Samba: Win2k, Mandrake 8.1

I have read a few posts about samba in here already, and my setup seems to be just like what people suggest to do. I created a user on my Win2k Box named rick420 with the same pass as the user rick420 on my linux box. (I am logged in as rick420 on both all the time) I set it to user level security and encrypted passwords.

In Win2k Network Neighborhood I can see the linux box (high-on-linux) but when I try to access it, it asks for a username/pass. If I click cancel I can see the shares I created on the linux box, but cannot access them. Win2k just gives me the error : cannot find network path \\high-on-linux\Downloads.

From the Linux box, I really dont know how to even try to access the Win2k box. How do I do that by the way???

What am I doing wrong???

Re: Samba: Win2k, Mandrake 8.1

I'm new to samba myself, and it's been fairly good to me, so I'm not sure if I'll really be able to help you much.

when I try to access it, it asks for a username/pass. *If I click cancel I can see the shares I created on the linux box, but cannot access them.
    I think the obvious thing would be to try and type in the username and password for the linux box and see if it works.

From the Linux box, I really dont know how to even try to access the Win2k box. *How do I do that by the way???
    Well, you can use smbclient to access the windows shares in a sort of ftp-style way (it's console only), or you can mount the smb shares natively with smbmount and smbunmount. This will let you access the shares the same way you normally would access any other directory on your local computer

Good Guru

Win 2k (NT) will ask for the user and password on all LAN shares. Make it happy by giving it the info it wants. That should solve the NT->Linux shares.

For Linux->NT sharing setup NT the way you would for a MS-MS network for your permissions. In Linux grab a program like LinNeighborhood (there are much better but this works and is the one that flies into my mind at the moment). Install it and when run, go into the preferences and feed it with your info on the NT box (workgroup, default user....)

Now do add a suid bit to the two samba mount files (I think its a +s, do a man chmod or someone else fix my alleged error). As root do the following commands
    chmod +s /path_to_samba/smbmnt
    chmod +s /path_to_samba/smbunmount

Now Rick440 can use the network to mount SMB shares and go onto any MS box with the user Rick440 to get access to the home dir.

And don't forget to smbpasswd rick420 and use the same password you use to login to both win2k and linux

Thanks for the tips all! I will try as soon as I get home.

I think I might not have explained myself good before. From Win2k I can see the Linux Box In net. neigh. but it asks for username pass. When I put in the username rick420/password it just pops up the user/pass box again They are both the same user/pass as well.

i will try out the Linux -- win2k tonite, thanks again

Good Guru

Just one more tip. Make sure your SAMBA is later than version 2.2. Prior versions won't work with Win2K.

When I put in the username rick420/password it just pops up the user/pass box again *They are both the same user/pass as well.
    My experience with Win2k is that it's "smarter" than Win98 when it comes to network authentication (the MSIE guys hanging out around here can probably explain why).

So, when you click on the Linux share from Network Neighbourhood, it might ask for the user and password (in this case, they can be whatever you want as long as they're registered in Linux using

smbpasswd -a me_me

and follow the prompts; don't forget the -a flag. Also, can't remember if you have to add me_me as a Linux user, too). Enter the appropriate Linux username and password.

To avoid that prompt, the user and password in Win2k should exactly match a user in smbpasswd and passwd (i.e., a user in the Linux box). Somebody correct me here if I'm OTL; been a while since I had to mess with Win2k logged in as a different user from Linux users.

If you're familiar with Win2k, you can also try Start -> Run. Now type:

\\Linux_box_name\Linux_share_name

note the back slashes and the share name is what is inside the square brackets (e.g., [Share_share]) in your smb.conf file. A short cut to all that Windoze click click stuff.

Also, can't remember if you have to add me_me as a Linux user, too
    That's exactly right. smbpasswd will barf if the user you are trying to add is not a user named in /etc/passwd.

What you want to do is add a user to your linux box with the same name as on the windows box, with the same password. Then do the smbpasswd -a username, and type in the exact password as it is on the windows box. it should work.

Ok, using the smbpasswd command I can now double click the linux box and get in without the user/pass box. It shows 2 shares in there, the share I created to /home/rick420/Downloads with a share name of Linux, and a printer folder. If I try to enter the folder called Linux Win2K gives me the \\high-on-linux.net\Linux network path not found. Like its looking for Linux instead of home/rick420/Downloads. I must have something wrong on the Linux side now. What should I be looking for?

Ok, using the smbpasswd command I can now double click the linux box and get in without the user/pass box. It shows 2 shares in there, the share I created to /home/rick420/Downloads with a share name of Linux, and a printer folder. If I try to enter the folder called Linux Win2K gives me the \\high-on-linux.net\Linux network path not found. Like its looking for Linux instead of home/rick420/Downloads. I must have something wrong on the Linux side now. What should I be looking for?
    Are you sure the path to your share is correct in smb.conf?