Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Samba: Win2k, Mandrake 8.1

Re: Samba: Win2k, Mandrake 8.1

Man I wish I could put Linux on all of them, but they arent all mine The family can barely use Windows and would never understand where their "E" logo went....

I never thought of Win not being able to read it, is that possible? I mean I can download from the Linux box via FTP from windows though......BTW, I use ReiserFS.... Really I dont even need Windows to be able to read the linux box, just getting annoyed because it cant. I would think it has to be able to though, I mean what if there was a Linux server at my job, windows clients would have to be able to read from it......

The printer though I really need to get to work. Its so annoying having to email everything to the Win2k box to print it.....The Epson C80 (i have) seems to use the same driver as the C40. The C40 is included in printtool, but it doesnt want to send info over there. Pissing me off it is (Yoda like talk, lol) Any answers towards these ?s would be great!

Man I wish I could put Linux on all of them, but they arent all mine *The family can barely use Windows and would never understand where their "E" logo went....
    Ah, stupidity. That's always the most painful reason to use windows. I feel for you, man :'(

I never thought of Win not being able to read it, is that possible?
    It depends, really. Since SAMBA is using a windows standard, windows should be able to read it just like it reads any other windows box.

However, knowing Microsoft, they probably change the protocol every now and then just to deliberately break SAMBA boxes running on Linux. They want you using Windows on all your boxes, and they'll stop at nothing to have it. You should check the SAMBA website for compatibility with Win2K.

But, don't rule out the possibility that you've just got it misconfigured and nobody here has managed to figure out what you need to change in your config files yet

I mean I can download from the Linux box via FTP from windows though......
    Well, that's just FTP. FTP is a standard, open protocol that MS can't change no matter how badly they want to. Since they own SMB/NetBIOS they can break backwards compatibility all they want, and nobody can do anything about it.

BTW, I use ReiserFS....
    That's interesting. I'm not sure if that would really make a difference though.

My only experience with SAMBA is on ext2fs, and it was fairly easy to install SAMBA and get it running, although I do have to sacrifice a young goat every couple of days or windows stops being able to read files off the linux box (seriously, some days it works and some days it doesn't, even when I haven't changed a thing in the linux config).

The printer though I really need to get to work.
    Sorry, I can't help you with that. I haven't even really bothered to get my local printer working, let alone a printer networked over SMB

Its so annoying having to email everything to the Win2k box to print it.....
    Well, if I understand your situation correctly, you can read files from the windows box on the linux box, right? You just can't read files on the linux box from the windows box.

So, set up a share on the windows box that is read and writeable, then from your linux box, copy over all the files you want to print, then go to the windows box and print them. No more email

Im about to throw 3 computers out a window if anyone wants them > > > > > > >

Seriously though. I dont know what the fuck I am doing wrong. I can see the Linux computer from both windows computers, but no matter what it asks for a user/pass and doesnt accept it when I put it in. The users are definetly in all 3 systems and added using smbpass -a. Damn annoying

The printer doesnt work at all either. What a pain in the ass. Is it that hard to use a god damn networked printer??? And access a damn Linux box from windows???
    I'm not sure what is going on but I had a similar problem but I read somewhere that it was because samba expects encrypted paswords from windows unless you change something in the sttings... Well that was with win98 I dont know about win2k which is what you have.. Windows xp can read my smb server with no problem but the WIN98 box is the one that couldnt map the network drive what I had to do is just browse into it from network computers ... Hope this helps ...

Well first off I would like to thank all you for all the replies, but I basically gave up on accessing the Linux box via Windows. Its not essential to me anyways,...... I would really like to get the printer working though...Any ideas on how to get it to use SMB printing ??