Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Samba: Win2k, Mandrake 8.1

Re: Samba: Win2k, Mandrake 8.1

Im sure it is, I used Webmin to config it so it was a basic drop down and select the folder thing. When I get home I will try again and give it a different share and see what happens.

Your host name has a domain suffix (.net) that might be screwing things up...that's just a WAG.

WOW LinNeighborhood is nice, works like a charm. I have no problems getting into the Win98 box or Win2k box and mounting them. Still cant get into Linux from Win2k though. Also, is it possible to use a shared Win98 Printer on my Linux box? I can see it there, but not do anything with it in LinNeighborhood. Thank\s again.

Also, is it possible to use a shared Win98 Printer on my Linux box? *I can see it there, but not do anything with it in LinNeighborhood. *Thank\s again.
    You should be able make a connection to a SMB shared printer using printtool. Just open up a terminal and type printtool. Make sure that the group "everyone" has print privledges to the printer on your Win98 box, or that you connect to it using the proper Winduhs username and password.

Well the Win98 box doesnt even have a user/pass on it. And no groups as far as I know in WIn98 either. But still no luck, although my Printers exact driver isnt there---I have a Epson C80 they have drivers for the C40, but the linuxprinitng.org site says they use both use gimp-print and ghostscript? anyways. But heres the error I get::
    Code:
    Starting CUPS printing system: [ OK ]
    lprm: Job or printer not found!
    And when it goes to print test page, nothing happens....In LinNeighorhood I can see the win98 box and access it and all the shares just fine. I still cant get into LInux from WIndows though....

Sorry, but I am stuck so: ^BUMP^

Not as bad as some of the post-padders on here.....lol

Good Guru

Well the Win98 box doesnt even have a user/pass on it. *And no groups as far as I know in WIn98 either.
    If Win98 box is the one physically connected to the printer, then you need to install Print and File sharing. Then right click on printer and then do sharing, name it and all that stuff.

Starting CUPS printing system: [ *OK *]
    lprm: Job or printer not found!
    CUPS should be using SMB instead of LP. Make sure you set up using Windows Printer ( SMB ) when you set up remote printer.

I still cant get into LInux from WIndows though....
    You mean you can't create share in Windows to Linux SMB share? Make sure the user name in Windows is the same as user name and password in SMB user list.

Ok, the Win98 printer is definetly shared and works fine because I use it on the WIn2k box. I did select remote smb printer when I did printool. Still no luck and still says lprm.

About the shares. I can view and mount the Win shares no problem. But from either Win box I cant view the linux shares. The linux computer shows up as high-on-linux (full hostname is high-on-linux.net BTW) and the share is there, it just gives me access denied when I try to get in.

Well, I am still reading on this and I really dont see what I am doing wrong on the Linux side. I have both the win users on the linux box and did smbpasswd -a for both of them.

Any ideas? And how do I get the damn printool to use SMB instead of lprm?? Thanks

Im about to throw 3 computers out a window if anyone wants them > > > > > > >

Seriously though. I dont know what the fuck I am doing wrong. I can see the Linux computer from both windows computers, but no matter what it asks for a user/pass and doesnt accept it when I put it in. The users are definetly in all 3 systems and added using smbpass -a. Damn annoying

The printer doesnt work at all either. What a pain in the ass. Is it that hard to use a god damn networked printer??? And access a damn Linux box from windows???

Im about to throw 3 computers out a window if anyone wants them *> > > > > > >
    Send them my way.

Seriously though. *I dont know what the fuck I am doing wrong.
    Some might say the source of your trouble is using windows instead of linux

Is there a reason you need windows? Why not put linux on all of them and use NFS or something?

And access a damn Linux box from windows???
    No offense, but what the hell were you expecting from MS? Windows can't even read an ext2fs-formatted HD that is inside the same computer, you expect it to read one in another computer?