Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: proftpd

Hybrid View

proftpd

Hello:

I am trying to install the latest version 1.2.4 on HR 7.2 on a computer on my LAN that has an IP of I have three computers in the LAN, I also have a Netgear Cable'Dsl router and a five prt switch. In the router I ported ports 20 - 22 to 192.168.0.40

I am trying to install proftpd as a standalone program that starts everytime i boot into rh 7.2. I am also try to follow the INSTALL file direction in the package

I am stuck on step 7 to the end. I was able to use the test scripts to connect to it but from step 7 on I am lost

Step 7. I dont know what to put there. The only user on the computer is root

Step 8. I have no idea what to do there either. I tried to correlate with the instructions from http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel...e/proftpd.html but again I am lost. I turned on inetd with ntsysv

Step 9. I dont know what to do with proftpd.init.d

etc

Can you please tel me what to do to get this going. I chose installing it as a standolone program because I will only seldom let people connect

Thanks

I also tried to join the forum at linunewbie.orf over a month ago but its not sending me my password. It has server errors

Anyone can tell me some good linux forums

Re: proftpd

I found rpm versions so i installed those

I installed the program and the inetd as well. Here is the output

[root@localhost src]# rpm -ivh --replacefiles proftpd-1.2.5rc1-1.i386.rpm
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
    1roftpd ########################################### [100%]

and

[root@localhost src]# rpm -Uvh proftpd-inetd-1.2.5rc1-1.i386.rpm
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
    1roftpd-inetd ########################################### [100%]
    grep: /etc/inetd.conf: No such file or directory
    inetd: no process killed
    I went to /etc inetd.conf and it was there and said this

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.proftpd
    I think it installed but I dont know how to configure it. I am trying to list the config files and doc files from the rpm but it wont

According to tne RPM manual it says

[root@localhost src]# rpm -c proftpd-1.2.5rc1-1.i386.rpm
    RPM version 4.0.3
    Copyright (C) 1998-2000 - Red Hat, Inc.
    This program may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU GPL

I think it istalled correctly but how do I adjust the config files, maybe I dont because its a RPM

How do I test if it works. I dont think I can connect from within my LAN

I would also like to get Apache configured as well.

Apache comes pre setup with RH 7.2. I can access its test page on my LAN by going to 192.168.0.40 However I want to allow friends to access it by going to http://myname.dyn.ca
    (dyn.ca is a dns service)

I have Mysql and PHP installed and again I can access my phpbb by going to 192.168.0.40/phpbb/ so I want to give out myname.dy.ca/phpbb/

Can someone please tell me how to setup Apache to do this. I spent hours reading the Apache docs but no luck

1) On Red Hat 7.2 you should run proftpd through xinetd, not inetd. Im not sure if the rpm version of proftpd puts the appropriate configuration files in /etc/xined.d/, but writing your own or modifying an existing one should be very easy.

2) Having your web page resolve to your fully qualified domain name on the internet is not somethnig handled by apache. You need to set up a live DNS server or have your DNS outsourced. Also, if you are sitting behind a firewall, you will have to open up the appropriate ports at the firewal to acces the services you want to offer.

1) On Red Hat 7.2 you should run proftpd through xinetd, not inetd. Im not sure if the rpm version of proftpd puts the appropriate configuration files in /etc/xined.d/, but writing your own or modifying an existing one should be very easy.
    Well, the test with proftpd worked. *I was able to connect from another computer on my LAN but it was using the test scripts itself installed

I dl from here and they dont have xined.d. *I am very new to Linux so writing something is a no go

ftp://ftp.proftpd.org/distrib/packages/RPMS/

I installed it as I said above so if you could help me get it working this way that would be great

2) Having your web page resolve to your fully qualified domain name on the internet is not somethnig handled by apache. You need to set up a live DNS server or have your DNS outsourced. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Also, if you are sitting behind a firewall, you will have to open up the appropriate ports at the firewal to acces the services you want to offer.
    I have already ported 80 to 192.168.0.40 on my router. *I know how to do this because I allow people to connect to one of my windows computers using SERV-U FTP (a windows ftpd daemon) and that required me to port 21 to that computers internal IP

With myname.dyn.ca I can allow people to connect to this FTP. *For example, I would tell them
    myname.dyn.ca
    port 21
    Username - xyz
    Password - XYZ
    This works fine and allows people to connect

I am ussuming I can do the same with the web server. *The place I get this service from (www.dyn.ca) says that you can use it for a web server. *Like I said before. *Apache is setup. *I can access it via the LAN. *I can access the PHPBB2 board I installed and phpmyadmin.

I just want to say to a friend goto http://mydomain.dyn.ca/forums/ and they will get there

Please help me set this up. *I dont think I am to far away

hello,
    im not sure about the php stuff. I had to upgrade my netgear rom before it worked from outside, the ip would be there but people from the outside got a messge from the router.

hello,
    im not sure about the php stuff. *I had to upgrade my netgear rom before it worked from outside, *the ip would be there but people from the outside got a messge from the router.
    I know people can access my LAN computers with dyn.ca service. *Like I said SERV - U works and people can connect to the internal computer with mydomain.dyn.ca, port 21, U, P

Am I getting all worked up for nothing. *If people can access the ftp server why shouldt they be able to acces the Apache server on the LAN. *Maybe if they went to http:..mydomain.dyn.ca/forums/ they would be able to access it

Since I can get there from a different computer by going to 192.168.0.40/forums/ it should work from the outside too. *I was just thinking that I had to setup the CONF files to work but since local access works why shouldnt outside access work

I just want to say to a friend goto http://mydomain.dyn.ca/forums/ and they will get there

Please help me set this up. I dont think I am to far away
    I'm assuming that people can connect to your server and see your default home page. If so, they you are almost there...

Now what you want to do is edit your http.conf file. Look for the following entry:

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.html
    </IfModule>

Now edit to look like the following:

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
    </IfModule>

Whatever you add to the DirectoryIndex line will the the page served up when someone types www.yourdomain.com/forums if that page exists in the specified directory.

As for xinetd, it should already installed in your RH box if you have done the defualt install. xinetd.d is the directory where xinetd keeps its configureation files (/etc/xinetd.d). The main xinetd configuration file will be /etc/xinted.conf. xinetd is simply a replacement for inetd. But you don't need to run proftpd through xinetd. Its simpy an option that allows added security if you need it.

If you want to find out more about xinetd, check the man pages by typing

man xinetd
    and
    man xinetd.conf

from the command line

Hope this helps.

Sorry I misread your post. So people cannot get to your web server from the internet? Is that correct? Is port 80 open and being forwarded from your router or firewall to your server? Is apache listening on port 80?

Don't use the rpm from proftpd.org

Grab it from www.freshrpms.net that one is solid. Adds it as a standalone server, so service proftpd start and all that jazz works. Also automagically sets up chroot's for each user. Normal user logs in and will NOT be able to get to any directory above thier home directory. (You can override this in teh config though).