Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: proftpd

Re: proftpd

help

I am now locked out of my system as root and I cant get in

I went to enter an SSH session , I tried to logon and it wasnt accespting roots password

I walked over the linux machine, rebooted, tried to logon as root/password and it said CANNOT START YOUR SHELL, IT COULD BE THAT THE SYSTEM ADMIN ...........

How do I fix this

The directory has to exist prior to the user logging in. If you designate a directory that is not there, they cannot log on from ftp or locally. just do a mkdir to make a directory, then do a chown johnsmith:johnsmith to give that user access to it. The hidden files, like .bashrc and .bash_profile are only needed if the user is going to actually sit down at the comp and use it locally, you can delete them. They shouldn't appear if the user uses somethnig like IE, netscape of Konq to ftp into your box. How do you remove a user easily from the cli? I really don't know. Hehe. Other than using Webmin (which is how I usually add users) to remove users I have never attempted it. You can always just delete their information from /etc/passwd, /etc/group..

Now I can get back to this

As it stands right now Anon can login and they land at /var/ftp

A user can login and lands and see's files called ".bashrc", ".bash_logout", ".emacs", ".kde" (folder) plus some others

1. I want to disable Anon
    2. I want users to logon to their own /var/ftp (meaning they will see DIR (bin, pub, Uploads)
    3. I want to create a user that can access the whole system besides root so incase I goof up again I can logon with that with ftp and shell so I can edit files to get back in

There are probably better ways to set this up. You know alot more than me so what ever you think I should do I will. You more or less know what I want to do

Now I can get back to this

As it stands right now Anon can login and they land at /var/ftp

A user can login and lands and see's files called ".bashrc", ".bash_logout", ".emacs", ".kde" (folder) plus some others

1. I want to disable Anon
    2. I want users to logon to their own /var/ftp (meaning they will see DIR (bin, pub, Uploads)
    3. I want to create a user that can access the whole system besides root so incase I goof up again I can logon with that with ftp and shell so I can edit files to get back in

There are probably better ways to set this up. You know alot more than me so what ever you think I should do I will. You more or less know what I want to do
    1) I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but I just commented out the whole Anonymous block in proftpd.conf.

2) Just edit the path to the user's home dir in /etc/passwd, after the user has been created. Remember that you must first make the directory structure. You can always just delete .bashrc, .bash_profile, etc. if that user has a flase shell and will never sit down at the machine in person.

3) Why not just run an SSH server on the box? Or if you are on a LAN within a completely trusted enviorment, just use telnet. (I would go with ssh however).

3) Why not just run an SSH server on the box? Or if you are on a LAN within a completely trusted enviorment, just use telnet. (I would go with ssh however).
    Every single thing I have been doing is through SSH. I have done nothing at the Linux computer expect install it. I installed PHP 4.11, Mysql, Proftpd, Xine all through SSH behind my LAN. I am at a windows computer

Using SSH is probably want screwed it up before. instead of doing pico "filename", I would open the SSH FTP client , move to the file, double click it and it would open up in wordpad on my computer. When I save it, it would automatically save over the existing file through SSH FTP

Oh. I don't have any experience with the windows SSH client. If you can use it to get a regular old linux command line and use pico or vi I would just admin the box that way. Opening config files in wordpad, as you found out, will definately hose your system. Also, look into WebMin. I admin a few boxes from windows machines at work using that and it does me fine for most of my common tasks.

I thought wenmin was a wehost control panel

Is it free

yup:

http://www.webmin.net/ for more info

I will install it

Lets hope I can find a good RPM of it for RH 7.2