Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

cant get slackware to recognize my router
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant get slackware to recognize my router

cant get slackware to recognize my router

I cannot get slackware to recognize my netgear rt314 router. I've tried doing netconfig and that didnt work. I edited rc.inet1 and changed the numbers, then did ifconfig and it still didnt say anything about eth0. Then I uncommented a line in rc.modules that activated a module for my network card. I did ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up and it says "not enough resources available" or something like that.

Could someone please help me with this??

Re: cant get slackware to recognize my router

What system is this running on?

I don't know why there wouldn't be enough resources, Linux is not the type of OS to just give up things are going slow

Make sure you have the right modules for your ethernet card loaded, and that you are configuring it properly.

And you'll want to set the router's IP as your gateway. Then you'll have net access.

The system is slackware 8 if thats what your asking.

I have the module loaded and configured my gateway number and everything. The weird thing is I can do ifconfig eth0 and it will display all the right numbers for eth0 and everything, but if i try ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up , it gives me that error saying not enough resources (or soemthing really similar to that).

Just a guess here...

Since eth0 is already up and running, would you not have to issue

ifconfig eth0 down

before you can start eth0 again using

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

???

Actually I was asking what your hardware specs are. Either the error is bogus or you're doing this on the slowest of computers

Just a guess here...

Since eth0 is already up and running, would you not have to issue

ifconfig eth0 down

before you can start eth0 again using

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

???
    Ok I tried that and here is the exact error message:

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resources temporarily unavailable

And feztaa, my computer is an intel 800 mhz and I have 256 mb RAM so I dont think thats the problem.

Hmmm. You should'nt need to include "up". And I think you are stringing too many options.

Try this: ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2

then this: ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0

I believe route allows you to string options thusly:
    route add -net 10.0.x.x netmask 255.255.255.255 dev eth0

and then you would:

route add default gw 192.168.0.x dev eth0

==========edit=========

Also do an lsmod as root to see if your module has been loaded.

I believe that usually means your ethernet card has not been detected. Does ifconfig show eth0? lsmod show the module loaded for your nic?

If your nic is not detected, then try disabling pnp os in the bios. Old trick, but works well.

I had this exact error in Debian a couple of months ago which turned out to be an IRQ conflict with my soundcard and nic.

I have seen a NIC card be given an ip address even when it was not working properly and had IRQ conflicts. It could even ping itelf by ip and by the loopback, so it fooled me into thinking it was working and that I was having problems with routing when infact the NIC just wasn't up. Slack should recognize your router no matter what type it is as long your ip addressing scheme is set up correct (subnet, network mask, gateway). In fact, your if ip schema was set up wrong, you would simply get a "host undreachable" error. Do you know what driver your nic is using? See if its module is loaded by doing an /sbin/lsmod. I had a similar problem as you're having with RH 6.2. As someone else stated, I simply had to turn off PnP OS in the BIOS.