Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

/usr directory full

Thread: /usr directory full

nfallon

/usr directory full

My /usr directory has become full. I have a spare hard drive that I would like to setup as the usr directory. Can I do this without reformatting everything on my original drive and without re-installing Mandrake 8.1?

Neil

JimH

Re: /usr directory full

Should be possible what does your /etc/fstab look like?

You should be able to shutdown, install the drive, partition it, format it, make a temporary mount point, switch to runlevel 1, copy the old /usr partition to the new one, edit /etc/fstab to point to the new /usr partition and reboot. Should work.

Jim H

Should be possible what does your /etc/fstab look like?

You should be able to shutdown, install the drive, partition it, format it, make a temporary mount point, switch to runlevel 1, copy the old /usr partition to the new one, edit /etc/fstab to point to the new /usr partition and reboot. Should work.

Jim H
    Out of breath yet? ;D ;D ;D
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

nfallon

The following is my fstab file:

/dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda8 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
    /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    ////hqsrvr001//users /users smbfs user,username=% 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda7 /var ext2 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Neil

JimH

What were you going to do, install the new drive as the primary slave (hdb) and use the entire drive for /usr?

Jim H

Aaron_Adams

Couldn't you just:

$ mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1
    $ cp -R /usr /mnt/hdb1

then change:

#/etc/fstab

/dev/hdb1 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2

That's essentially what Jim suggested... but that's how you'd do it no? How you distribute hda6's space into another partition, I have a vaque idea how to do it, but I can't remember right now. Jim will know I'm sure.

JimH

$ cp -R /usr /mnt/hdb1
    You need to switch to runlevel 1 first so you have as few processes running as possible that may write to /usr while you are copying.

telinit 1

and you should use:

cp -ax /usr /mnt/whatever

using cp-R will not preserve the file attributes when copying.

Jim H

nfallon

What were you going to do, install the new drive as the primary slave (hdb) and use the entire drive for /usr?

Jim H

Hi Jim,

That's what I was thinking. Instead I decided to go ahead and install a larger drive and copy over the information that I need from the existing drive. Most of it will be in my home directory so this will be the easiest route.

Neil

nfallon

I put the new drive in and everything is working fine.

Neil