Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: printer sharing

printer sharing

I have 2 printers hooked up to my so called file server. File sharing works perfectly now for all computers on the network, but now I need the printers to work. I can print from the computer and on an xp machine the printers show up in the add network printer wizard thing. When I try to add the printer it says windows cannot locate the printer. I've also read some tutorials and I'm still having trouble. Does anyone have any tips or ideas of what could be wrong. I could also post the config if needed. Oh and if you didn't already know its shared through samba.

Re: printer sharing

Do you use cups? if so you can connect to the printer via ipp Internet Printer Protocol through win xp

I think it uses omni or something. The pc has rh 7.2 on it and I used the driver it selects which was omni.

Dude cups is easy to get working... If you need any help I'm willing to help you I just finished setting up my printer/file server with the help of everyone here..

Is there a reason I should use cups instead? I have the printers working and I can view them through network neighborhodd on the xp machine but when I go to connect to the printer or add it it wont' work. I'm wondering what the problem could be.

Is there a reason I should use cups instead? I have the printers working and I can view them through network neighborhodd on the xp machine but when I go to connect to the printer or add it it wont' work. I'm wondering what the problem could be.
    The thing is that I got my server working and now I am able to share my printer with with my two other computers,,, I got it to working, and I think It was pretty easy... *I could help you if you have cups... *I don't know anything about omni....

hello,
    rh 7.2 uses lpd instead of cups - so you can see them on your ms window boxs - does it ever prompt you to install windows drivers?

No because whenever I try to install the printer or add it in the little wizard it says it can't find the printer. I was thinking this was probably a samba problem and not print driver.

are the printers listed in the network at all? and have you explicitly told ms window's where the printer is e.g. \\192.168.0.1\printer ?

Thats what the problem is. The printers are listed with the correct names but I can't add them in windows. I tried using the ip and the same thing happened, it just says windows cannot connect to the printer.