Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thats it... I am starting over.

Thats it... I am starting over.

I am pissed at LINUX. LOL joking. My head hurts and I cant think. I am trying to install slack and buld a new firewall/NS.
    Any tips. Would be great and I will post here as I progress. OR WHEN I need help. Thanx ;D

Re: Thats it... I am starting over.

So far so good. I boot of a (cough) 98 disk and ran part.exe (Ranish partion manage) to set up my partions. Nothing fancy. 128Meg swap and a 4gig for /. BTW Ranish Partions magaer is a great tool. A must have in my book. DL it it kicks. I am formating / now. I will post again soon.

Great......... >. It seems to hang on the first boot. on "LI" looks like half of Lilo. Perfect. I cant catch a break today. I know the install went to smooth to fast. Now what???Booting off of CDROM (again) I am running setup again. I canceled out of the software install part and its letting me make a boot floppy . Should have done that to begin with.
    Ok I installed LILO onto the MBR this time. Cross your fingers. I AM...

YES its booting......... ;D 8). It found one of my 2 nics during the install but I had to
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1 192.168.100.1 up
    to get the otherone up. But it seems to be working. Ok enuff for me today. Tommorow I will be setting up IPTABLES for limited internet access. And maybe start lookin at BIND. Scary stuff aint it
    Later,
    GZ

Kind Mastermind

YES its booting......... * ;D 8). It found one of my 2 nics during the install but I had to
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1 192.168.100.1 up
    to get the otherone up. But it seems to be working. Ok enuff for me today. Tommorow I will be setting up IPTABLES *for limited internet access. And maybe start lookin at BIND. Scary stuff aint it
    Later,
    GZ
    Glad to hear that it booted this time. I love a challenge, so I am rarely frustrated when something doesn't work. I just post here or rummage through every online resource that I can.

Back on the case this morning. I am going to start looking for info on iptables. And setting that up. If you all know of some good link postem here would ya. I will post mine as well in case someone is following along.

Ran into a problem that I am going to need someones help on.
    Slackware.
    rc.inet1: I used this fill to configure eht0 and it seem to work fine. However I have 2 nics so what file do I use to configure the second nic "eth1". I guess I could add to rc.inet1 putting the ifconfig string I need in there. But If I do that why not juist make a new file that has to ifconfig strings to config both cards and bypass rc.inet1. Hummmmmmmmm. What launches rc.inet1. Where is that called from. its in /etc/rc.d/ so does everything in there get called upon boot time.
    Any insight would be great..
    Thanx GZ

the first script that is called is rc.S it gets called from init which is defined in /etc/inittab. Then when entering Multi user mode the rc.M gets also called from init. The rc.K runs only when you put the machine into single user mode .. or runlevel 1
    Code:
                   /etc/inittab 
                   |   |    |
                 rc.K  |    rc.S --- rc.modules 
                     |    
                    rc.M  
                      |
                      |--- rc.inet1
                      |--- rc.inet2
                      |-- most of the other rc scripts

reply Thanx .
    I went ahead and rem'ed out the call to rc.inet1 and wrote my on script. I call it from rc.local and it seems to be working. Is this a good,bad,ok idea. Should I have diobne this another way?

Everything seems to be working as of the moment. I am a little conserned about all the stuff commented out of /rc.d/rc.M but other than that I feel pretty good. I got the thing mounted and I got sshd running so I can work from my desk. Next is settinh up iptables for limited access. I have a script that gets the jobn done for chains. Hopefully not much to switch it over. Later
    GZ

(the slack-firewall-nameserver saga)....to be continued