Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Dial-out server

Thread: Dial-out server

Kind Mastermind

Dial-out server

Ok, all you server gurus out there, tell me: *can I set up a small network with a windows box connected to a linux server that connects to the internet via a dial-up modem? *I am trying to figure this out but can't find any info on it at linux.org (it was a quick look, I will be doing a google search later). *Has anyone tried to do this? *How successful were you? *Is it worth my time and effort?

To clarify a little bit, here is what I want to do: I want my linux server (which I plan to build in a few months) to access the internet via dial-up external modem. I want to have my windows box set up so that if my wife presses the ie icon, it will send a command to the linux server that will start up the dial-up process and connect to the internet. All of this in a very transparent fashion.

Thank you for your patience with my decidedly newbie question!

Cheers

Re: Dial-out server

Turn on demand dialing in your ppp-options. One thing about this - if you are not currently online, it is gonna take a minute to get online, authenticate, and make a PPP connection, then run your firewall rules,etc. So, tell the wife to try, and if it doesn't work immeadiately, it will work in less than 2 minutes.

Kind Mastermind

Re: Dial-out server

Turn on demand dialing in your ppp-options. *One thing about this - if you are not currently online, it is gonna take a minute to get online, authenticate, and make a PPP connection, then run your firewall rules,etc. *So, tell the wife to try, and if it doesn't work immeadiately, it will work in less than 2 minutes.
    Thanks. I will look at the ppp how-to and some of the other server specific howtos. I am just happy that it can be done (it will make the wife happier. She hates it when I tinker with the computer and then don't have everything back to "normal&quot.