Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions, please?

Kind Mastermind

Suggestions, please?

Ok, folks, here is the deal. *In a few months I will be getting a nice reenlistment bonus. *My wife has pegged most of the money for furniture/household related purchases. *I want to buy an inexpensive computer. *So, here is my question:

Given the following criteria, what hardware should I buy:

1. *It must be inexpensive.
    2. *The computer will be used as a non-production personal server (i.e. a server to learn how to use php, mysql, perl, firewall, dynamic webpage deployment, etc).
    3. *It must have a modem (I'm still in 56k hell, right next to Kenshi).
    4. *It must have agp graphics, not cutting edge (TNT2 is fine).
    5. *It must have audio (built-in is just fine with me).
    6. *The mobo must have enough pci slots for sound (if not built-in), one nic (if not built-in), and one for the modem (if not built-in or if anyone knows of an inexpensive external modem, do tell).
    7. *Dual cpu is not wanted, at all.
    8. *Duron/Celeron is fine (I will go with around 850-1ghz).
    9. *Cutting edge is not desireable (remember it must be cheap).
    10. *Case must be inexpensive but adequate for the hardware requirements.
    11. All hardware must be Win9x/NT/Linux compatible.

I already have an 8x4x32 CDRW drive, one 1.2gig, and one 8.4gig hdd for it. *I will probably put either a zip drive in it or a 20/30gig hdd in it. *Additionally, if my wife gives me permission to go ahead with the project, I will need to swap my current computer's internal modem out with a nic. *I would also need to buy a second external modem for it (unless someone knows if it is possible to use the linux server as a dial-up gateway).

Any suggestions would be great. *I know of a local vendor who can get me a celeron 800 with 128mb, case and assorted other goodies (no hdd, cdrom, monitor) for around 180 usd. *It seems like a good place to start.

Thanks. *Cheers.

Re: Suggestions, please?

hi stryder,
    ah there are a ton of systems out there that will fill the bill, i would look for a bare bones system that you can pop parts in that you current;y have. - there are many of them out there, it will include case, mb and cpu typically.

A mac. SO you can play with MacOSX

Kind Mastermind

hi stryder,
    ah there are a ton of systems out there that will fill the bill, *i would look for a bare bones system that you can pop parts in that you current;y have. *- there are many of them out there, *it will include case, mb and cpu typically. *
    Thanks, pbharris. I was looking around and found just about everything I wanted:

AMD Duron 800, 256mb RAM, 20gig U100 HDD, built-in AGP 3D graphics/32mb, AMR 56k modem (tossed out), onboard 10/100 ethernet. Plus, an additional 10/100 ethernet pci nic, a us robotics hard ware modem, and 50' of cat5 crossover cable. All for $440.19, not including shipping costs. So, at the most, with shipping, say $500.00 and I have both computers networked and ready. Not a bad price.

Kind Mastermind

A mac. *SO you can play with MacOSX
    ROFL...I said inexpensive! That means around the $500 mark. A new mac with osx would run closer to $1000. That would be too expensive for my wife's tastes. Thanks, though.

AMD Duron 800, 256mb RAM, 20gig U100 HDD, built-in AGP 3D graphics/32mb, AMR 56k modem (tossed out), onboard 10/100 ethernet. Plus, an additional 10/100 ethernet pci nic, a us robotics hard ware modem, and 50' of cat5 crossover cable. All for $440.19, not including shipping costs. So, at the most, with shipping, say $500.00 and I have both computers networked and ready. Not a bad price.
    That seems a bit expensive to me. I could get the same here in Canada for that price.

I would suggest you check out some of your local computer stores that have competitive pricing. Not those chain stores that overcharge.

Have a look at www.canadacomputers.com for a idea of prices in Canada. I always shop there as it's only a 5 minute drive for me and they're prices are about the best in Toronto. U.S. costs should be 1/3 to 1/2 of what we pay up here.

Kind Mastermind

That seems a bit expensive to me. I could get the same here in Canada for that price.

I would suggest you check out some of your local computer stores that have competitive pricing. Not those chain stores that overcharge.

Have a look at www.canadacomputers.com for a idea of prices in Canada. I always shop there as it's only a 5 minute drive for me and they're prices are about the best in Toronto. U.S. costs should be 1/3 to 1/2 of what we pay up here.
    Actually, I live in Turkey, so the prices will have to be a little expensive. It's not easy to shop when you are an American in a foreign country. Most of the websites that I have looked at are pretty close to that price. Maybe I will check out the website you posted. I wonder if they can ship to the US.

Actually, I live in Turkey, so the prices will have to be a little expensive. *It's not easy to shop when you are an American in a foreign country. *Most of the websites that I have looked at are pretty close to that price. *Maybe I will check out the website you posted. *I wonder if they can ship to the US.
    But, your in the military right? I am sure you could order the parts from www.newegg.com pretty cheap and I think they ship to military outposts.

Are you sure you don't want one of those new Dual G4 1GHz Mac towers?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...tore?family=G4

Hey Stryder, I think I'd stay away from a Zip Drive. You already have a burner, why bother w/ a zip? Y ou can backup a lot of stuff on a CD-RW, and the blanks are a lot cheaper. I'd go with a Duron, you can always upgrade to an Athlon later, and you won't have the "Intel, we're the best" premium price to deal with.