Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Samba Server

Re: Samba Server

Hers my Problem

In my attempt to install samba, set it up on the linux machine ...............

I have a problem HELP
    I added a user in win 98 as root and the gave it the password as the same as root on the linux machine (root is the only user) as I am the only user on all machines

I rebooted and I see a screen on Win98 that says root and to put in the password. When I click CANCEL I am hoping to get back to my normal desktop. The desktop was there but all my passwords have disappeared. e - mail, web site password. etc

Also in Network Neighborhood it sais UNABLE TO BROWSE THE NETWORK. I can access the net but the other computers on my LAN I cant

When I do enter root's account by puting in the password I can access Network Neighborhood and the linux box (samba)

But I want my old settings back on the win 98 before I added "root" to it, HOW DO I DO THIS

If I delete the root account while I am in the other will this help

hello,
    on the linux box do a smbadduser - have this user be the same as a linux user, and i match passwords it would go like this:
    smbadduser Kaiser:Kaiser - it will then ask for a password, use the same one as the what is one linux (i do, it is easier) then the user Kaiser if logged in on the win98 machine should be able to see stuff on the linux machine.
    here is my smb.conf file
    Code:
    #======================= Global Settings =====================================
    [global]

workgroup = HARRIS 
      server string = Samba Server
      printcap name = /etc/printcap
      load printers = yes
      printing = lprng
      log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
      max log size = 0
      security = user
      encrypt passwords = yes
      smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
      socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
    [homes]
      comment = Home Directories
      browseable = no
      writable = yes
      valid users = %S
      create mode = 0664
      directory mode = 0775
    [printers]
      comment = All Printers
      path = /var/spool/samba
      browseable = no
      guest ok = no
      writable = no
      printable = yes
    # This one is useful for people to share files
    [tmp]
      comment = Temporary file space
      path = /tmp
      read only = no
      public = yes
    [mp3s]
        path = /mp3s
        guest ok = Yes
        read only = Yes

[cdrom]
        path = /mnt/cdrom
        guest ok = Yes
        read only = Yes
    you could take this and replace your own /etc/smb.conf file with it, do a /etc/init.d/smb restart and from the win computer shoudl be able to see a computer named [yourlinuxboxname] in the workgroup harris, where yourlinuxboxname is the same one in yourlinuxboxname.domain.suffix - this may be as simple a localhost.

hth

Hers my Problem

In my attempt to install samba, set it up on the linux machine ...............

But I want my old settings back on the win 98 before I added "root" to it, HOW DO I DO THIS

If I delete the root account while I am in the other will this help
    Do you have your Win98 box set up to allows have multiple, unique user settings like NT? There is a setting in nethood properties somewhere to do this, something like retain settings for individual users. If you have that enabled, each user you add to the SMB domain or to your Win98 box will get a completely new desktop upon log on. If you haven't deleted your old user, you should be able to log on as that person and get their desktop. Each users settings are stored somwhere in c:\windows\profiles (or something close to that). I can't remember. Its been a while since I had to touch a 98 box.

Also, It's a good idea to get out of the habit of doing everything as root.

I want my default win 98 profile back. After I do that I will look into finishing Samba

Yes tolstoy uoi are right I will stop using root as everything and add another full user to the linux computer. I have to read how to do that but first I need to fix the other thing

Do you have your Win98 box set up to allows have multiple, unique user settings like NT?
    No, before I added 'root' there were no users, just the default one. *I am the only user on all of them so there was no need to add/have users

[qoute]
    There is a setting in nethood properties somewhere to do this, something like retain settings for individual users. If you have that enabled, each user you add to the SMB domain or to your Win98 box will get a completely new desktop upon log on. [/quote]

When I added the user 'root' in win 98I chose each user can customize their ssettings

If you haven't deleted your old user, you should be able to log on as that person and get their desktop. Each users settings are stored somwhere in c:\windows\profiles (or something close to that). I can't remember. Its been a while since I had to touch a 98 box.
    No I have not delted anything yet. *I am still waiting to

I can access the default users desktop. *I do this by hitting cancel when it asks for 'root' password on 98 boot up. *As a matter of fact the user 'root' has the same sesktop.

The problem is all my passwords, email, website. forum, IE form filling is gone and Network Neighborhood cant be accessed

Why are you trying to set up passwords? If you configure SAMBA to act like it's in a workgroup you won't need passwords etc. (If my understanding is right). If your the only one using it, take the encrypt password thing out.

I'll go and look for the config file and post it.

--edit--
    I hadn't realised pbharris had posted a conf file.

I think we need to see yours before we can help.

If you can't see you linux box from the 98 box check that you have the line
    netbios name=foo
    in [global]

Did you go from "Windows Family Logon" to "Client for Microsoft Newtorks?" If so, try changing the network redirector back to "Windows Family Logon" and see if that gives you your personalized settings back. It may, it may not.

popcorn, I will play with samba as soon as I reslove my win 98 issue. When I do I will post its config.

It would be great if can do it without adding a user and a password

tolstroy, it does say "microsoft'family logon'.

In my /windows/profiles/ I have "All Users" and 'root'. The all users is for when I click cancel when it asks me for 'root's' password. I gues this is for a sperate user

I want the default user back. I am thinking if I deleted 'root' it might fix it.

I think the problem started when I clicked 'users can customize' ... instead of 'all users use the same ......' when I added the user root

I think I fixed my win 98 problem with adding a user to it. *I am not doing it again because it totaly screwed up my system

Here is my smb.conf file. *I just edited the one above with my settings instead of posting all the code here. *I highlighted the differences in bold between mine and pbharris

This is what happens when I tyr to access the linux computer.

I go to Network Neighborhood > Enitire Nework > Mygroup > Localhost > homes = cannot access \\localhost\homes The metwork name is either not found *on the *running network or is incorrect. Do you want to connect by dial up networking instead

I am not going to add a user to my win 98 computer so if I can get this to work great, if not ah well

I think I can get it to work with a little tweaking

What would I set so I can get to /usr/local/src with win 98

thanks

Code:
    #======================= Global Settings =====================================
    [global]

* workgroup = MYGROUP
     * server string = Samba Server
     * printcap name = /etc/printcap
     * load printers = yes
     * printing = lprng
     * log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
     * max log size = 0
     * security = share
     * encrypt passwords = yes
     * smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
     * socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
    [homes]
     * comment = Home Directories
     * browseable = yes
     * writable = yes
     * valid users = %S
     * create mode = 0664
     * directory mode = 0775
    [printers]
     * comment = All Printers
     * path = /var/spool/samba
     * browseable = no
     * # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print