Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

samba problems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: samba problems

samba problems

I have a small file server to share the mp3s for my 5 computer lan. I have a main music directory for my mp3s and theres another directory for my dads mp3s he downloads. Both are in /home/daniel. I made both users daniel(me) and rob(my dad) then I made a group mp3. I have no problem accessing my mp3s when my computer is in linux or xp, but the problems start on my dads win 98 computer.When I go to access alfred(the file server) it trys to access //ALFRED/$IPC and asks for password. So I tried //alfred/Music and //alfred/Rob which are the directories that this computer is supposed to have access to. I also tried different cases when trying to access //alfred. I've read how tos and that helped me in getting samba working for my computer but the only problems I have are with the multiple users. I can post my smb.conf if it will help.

Re: samba problems

Windows 98 will try to send the password encrypted. Do you have the following in your smb.conf file:

security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

If yes, then add the Windows 98 user name and password to the smbpasswd file:

smbpasswd -a windoze_98_user

and follow the prompts. Make the user name and passwords the same on both boxes.

im having the same problems but i dont know how this will affect my security because i have to add the win user as a user on my system and since i dont really use a strong password / username on my win system im afraid that someone could exploit this .. or am i secure if i set /bin/false for the user ?

Setting the shell to /bin/false is good to prevent ssh/telnet/local logins, but won't prevent ftp/scp access or samba access, which is probably what you want.

i just meant that if i add the win user as a regular user on my pc wouldnt this give everyone a entry point into my system ?

I already have all those things in my smb.conf and the users have been added. I've placed all directories in my home directory but the directories in my home directory are in the group mp3. Could the access problem be that user rob has access to /home/daniel/Music because the music directory is in group mp3 but /home/daniel isn't in group mp3? That problem isn't whats wrong, so what else could be the problem?

Windows 98 will try to send the password encrypted. *Do you have the following in your smb.conf file:

security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes

If yes, then add the Windows 98 user name and password to the smbpasswd file:

smbpasswd -a windoze_98_user

and follow the prompts. *Make the user name and passwords the same on both boxes.

I'm not sure if the problem is on the samba file server or on the win98 machine some how but heres in smb.conf to see if anyone can find a problem in it
    Code:
    [global]
       path = /home/daniel/Music
       force directory mode = 775
       create mode = 664
       auto services = global
       force create mode = 664
       dns proxy = no 
       encrypt passwords = yes
       force group = mp3
       socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
       short preserve case = yes
       printcap name = /etc/printcap
       max log size = 0
       case sensitive = yes
       writable = yes
       printer = epsonsty
       security = user
       preserve case = yes
       workgroup = AGAR
       server string = file/print server
       comment = Music
       delete readonly = yes
       netbios name = alfred
       log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
       load printers = yes
       netbios aliases = alfred
       default = global

[Music]
       path = /home/daniel/Music
       writable = yes
       directory mode = 775
       preserve case = yes
       comment = Music
       case sensitive = yes
       force user = daniel

[Rob]
       path = /home/daniel/Rob
       writable = yes
       directory mode = 775
       preserve case = yes
       comment = Rob Music
       case sensitive = yes

Ah, as with most complex problems, let's eliminate the possibilities and see what's left:

1. *Have you ever been able to Samba from Windoze to Linux?

2. *If not, try a very simple configuration. *Move smb.conf to smb.conf.bak and then throw something like this in there:

#=============== Global Settings ==============
    [global]

* workgroup = GROUP1
    * server string = Linux Box - Samba Server %v
    * hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127. #adjust to taste
    * log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    * max log size = 50
    * security = user
    * encrypt passwords = yes
    * smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    * socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    * dns proxy = no

#============== Share Definitions ==============
    [Test_Share]
    * comment = Find the problem!
    * path = /home/username/tmp
    * writeable = yes

Sub a real Windoze and Linux user for username and change GROUP1 to match the group name that you've specified in Windows. *Of course, make sure the tmp directory exists and don't forget the

smbpasswd -a username

step.

Then, as root, restart smbd and nmbd, like so:

smbd -d restart
    nmbd -d restart

3. *Shouldn't be necessary, but restart Windows anyway. *Can you see the Linux box from Windows now?

4. *If not, then I think there's some basic stuff messed up. *Needs more troubleshooting.

5. *If yes, then there's something wrong in your original smb.conf file. *Doesn't sound like a permission/ownership problem, but if you can connect to another share (like the one shown above) but not to your MP3 share using the same smb.conf file (i.e., add the tmp share to your smb.conf file if it worked in the example above) then that hints of ownership/permission misalignment, or... :-X

[Editor's Note: *Just remembered that you can't connect at all with your original smb.conf file, so ignore the irrelevant stuff in Point 5.]

A word of encouragement: *When I first started hacking away at Samba, it frustrated the hell out of me. *I read the tutorials and even parts of the online book, but for whatever reason, I missed (or the authors missed) subtle little points that can cause total and utter failure (well, at least the Windoze problem you're having)!!! *And, I've found that some of those subtle points don't matter anymore in later releases of Samba. *That's longhand for hang in there and have a beer (or Coke) when you feel like throwing the PC down the stairs...

im having the same problems but i dont know how this will affect my security because i have to add the win user as a user on my system and since i dont really use a strong *password / username on my win system im afraid that someone could exploit this .. or am i secure if i set /bin/false for the user ?
    Ahem, for what it's worth (I'm no security expert), any system is only as secure as the weakest link, so if you have a box (the Windoze anchor) that is not intrinsically secure (password protected, only used by your trusted wife ;D, etc.) and it accesses the network, then you have a security issue that needs to be dealt with, not a Samba issue.

Ahem, for what it's worth (I'm no security expert), any system is only as secure as the weakest link, so if you have a box (the Windoze anchor) that is not intrinsically secure (password protected, only used by your trusted wife ;D, etc.) and it accesses the network, then you have a security issue that needs to be dealt with, not a Samba issue.
    I dont have a wife ;D , still 17 and living at home , its the family box .. anyway I think ill make a stronger password on the win box and set it to auto logon , so i can make a user and arent using weak passwords ..

<edit> for some strange reason i cant see the smileys nor other images from the site </edit>