Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Running a dedicated HL server

Thread: Running a dedicated HL server

Associate

Running a dedicated HL server

Hey all,

I will be running a Half-Life dedicated server on a PIII 667, with 512 mb of ram, and a 20gb hard drive.

What I would like to know is what distro should I pick for doing this ? I have been using RedHat (7.2) but so far its been acting funny I have had not so good experinces with it

Any suggestions ?

Good Guru

Re: Running a dedicated HL server

Oh man ! You are asking for the distro war !

Debian would have been my choice as a server. ( But others swear by it with Slackware )

Hey all,

I will be running a Half-Life dedicated server on a PIII 667, with 512 mb of ram, and a 20gb hard drive.

What I would like to know is what distro should I pick for doing this ? I have been using RedHat (7.2) but so far its been acting funny I have had not so good experinces with it

Any suggestions ?
    Well, since my suggestion is usually redhat for servers, I'd have to ask what this 'funny' acting stuff is.

if you want something that's easy to install then slackware
    some think debian's install is a bit tricky sincse it dosen't have the same hw detection as slack does.

Every distro out there will be adaquate for a server, none being any better than the others. If you don't use crap like linuxconf, or Yast, or any of those GUI or non-gui sysconfig tools, then one distro is almost identical to the other (slack and debian are probably a little more stable than RH, but not by much, in my experience). Just use what you're comfortable with.

If you're server is only going to do one thing, serve HL, then install as few packages on it as possible to get it to an operational level. This way you don't have to worry about bloat and will have a very lean, clean installation.

My two nickles: I like slack, but I use RH on just about everything because I know my way around it the best.

I use redhat on my day of defeat server and I've never had a problem with it. I put it up about 5 days ago and its still going.