Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail Server Help

Hybrid View

Mail Server Help

I know I have posted stuff on this subject before and I never really got anywhere with it. Well I need to set up mail so I can use the PHP mail() function to send forms to me. What I want is the easiest way possible, as i dont feel like learning about how mail work. In one of my previous threads it was suggested just to use the sendmail binary to send the mail out to my ISP for delivery. This sounds simply enough and is actaully what i think I need. I dont want it to receive mail from anywhere, just send it to my ISP.

Now....with that said, how can i do this? I have been reading and searching but I cant figure it out. Help would be most appreciated on this......and please keep it simple since I have no idea on mail servers :P

Re: Mail Server Help

Im not 100% I understand this, and maybe I need to take a nap and re-read the question, but it looks like you may want to integrate Java into this if you dont want to use local mail.

I know I have posted stuff on this subject before and I never really got anywhere with it. Well I need to set up mail so I can use the PHP mail() function to send forms to me. What I want is the easiest way possible, as i dont feel like learning about how mail work. In one of my previous threads it was suggested just to use the sendmail binary to send the mail out to my ISP for delivery. This sounds simply enough and is actaully what i think I need. I dont want it to receive mail from anywhere, just send it to my ISP.

Now....with that said, how can i do this? I have been reading and searching but I cant figure it out. Help would be most appreciated on this......and please keep it simple since I have no idea on mail servers :P
    While I"m not exactly sure what the phpmail() function does, most cgi scripts and whatnot can just use the binary to send out. Aside from that, I can't help, without a description of what phpmail() does.

If i understand correctly, the PHP mail() function just uses sendmail to send its mail. I believe just the binary. Hmmmmmmm ???

Then what you want to do is install postfix. Read The Fine Manual. Configure it.

Assuming that mail() just uses the "sendmail" binary, this is will work automatically, assuming postfix is correctly configured

Note: Postfix will still work properly even if port 25 is firewalled off. You only need it open to receive mail with postfix, not to send it.

assuming postfix is correctly configured
    I believe this is where my problem starts....the whole configuration of these damned things. I keep reading things and they all just go right over my head.

Whoa, what the hell am I thinking?!

Get sSMTP! That is exactly what you need. It's a very simple program, in fact it's a drop in replacement for sendmail.

What you want to do is download and install it (I'm not sure where to get it, but there is a link buried at www.mutt.org somewhere). Once it's installed, you'll have to configure it. Configuration is very simple because all you really have to do is tell it the address of your ISP's mail server, so that it sends off all it's mail to the right place. Once you've done that and tested it, make a symlink '/usr/sbin/sendmail' that points to wherever the ssmtp binary is installed (likely /usr/local/bin/ssmtp if you compiled and installed yourself).

Here is the link for sSMTP:

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/syst...tp-2.48.tar.gz

Just download and install it. Very small and easy to configure. There's almost nothing to it. Should work exactly as you need in this situation.

Thanks for the info and link....I will be sure to try that out when i get some time. I'll let ya know how it goes ;D

/me fails to see how installing postfix, just to wrap sendmail is a valid solution. Why not just use the damned sendmail binary, instead of sending him on a goose chace with sendmail?

Say I need a distributer cap for my car.. would you recommend me purchase a brand new car, just to use the distro cap? I think not....