Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Domain, DNS is it possible
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Domain, DNS is it possible

Domain, DNS is it possible

Hello:

I will describe my setup first so it will be easier to help me. I have a small LAN of three computer sharing a cable service in which I have a static IP. I have a Netgear router and port forwarding has already been set up. I have one Win XP, 98 SE, and a Redhat 7.2 computer. Each one has its own LAN IP of 192.168.x.x

I installed Redhat 7.2 server install. After that I installed PHP, mysql, phpmyadmin and everything is working great. I can access my web server across the LAN by doing http://192.168.X.X/ and the Apache test page shows up. I installed phpbb2 and I can access that as well across the LAN by going http://192.168.X.X/forum/ . I also use one of those free DNS forwarders so others as well can access the web server. I use the one at www.dyn.ca , so friends from the outside can do http://username.dyn.ca/forum/ and they can get my web server.

I would love to be able to have a full domain resolve to my web server. I would love to have a registered domain as in www.mydomain.com point to here. I think this involves setting up BIND, DNS, SENDMAIL (which is installed but not configured), but I don't know how

Can someone guide me and tell me what is involved in doing this

Thanks kindly

Good Guru

Re: Domain, DNS is it possible

Yes, you can setup servers, but you are going to have to find out if certain ports are blocked. What I would do is setup Apache to listen in on ports 80, 8000, and 12345 and see if any of them work. RoadRunner blocks alot of incoming stuff -- ports 80,23,21,81,8080,8081.

So most servers on my end MUST have an alternate port. That should be the ONLY limitation -- blocked ports. If you cant figure one out, try using a slight variation of your favorite games' server port. AMy help out.

RoadRunner blocks alot of incoming stuff -- ports 80,23,21,81,8080,8081
    Are you sure about this? I have RoadRunner and I have apache serving webpages on port 80. Maybe its different for different parts of the country ???

Also, you can't have a full domain pointing without a static IP address.

All it involves is a static IP address, as you can use www.mydns.com for a free DNS management system. Just tell your registrar that mydns.com is the SOA (the master DNS) server for your domain, then you can set up all your domains and subdomains off of that at mydns.com. I have 3 or 4 domains that are DNS'd by them, such as j2solutions.net and foolclan.com.

Without a static IP address, this is not possible.

Good Guru

I have a small LAN of three computer sharing a cable service in which I have a static IP.
    Am I the only one seeing this??? He said he has static IP.

I have a Netgear router and port forwarding has already been set up.
    So you already have your external interface port 80 from your Netgear forwarded to your Red Hat Linux box's port 80?? Then that's all you need to get from your external IP to your Internal box's IP.

I use the one at www.dyn.ca , so friends from the outside can do http://username.dyn.ca/forum/ and they can get my web server.
    Okay. May be this is where most of the people got confused with your IP being Dynamic or Static. If you have Static IP, you don't need to use their service. You can have your DNS server pointed to your IP addy.

I would love to be able to have a full domain resolve to my web server. I would love to have a registered domain as in www.mydomain.com point to here. I think this involves setting up BIND, DNS, SENDMAIL (which is installed but not configured), but I don't know how.
    You do not need BIND as well as Sendmail for this to work. It's only needed if you want those services to run off of your server. Just to get web server stuff and the domain pointed to your server, all you need is Apache web server running and you can use services like mydns.com . Sign up with mydns.com, get the domain there too since it's easier, set up your DNS entry to use mydns.com DNS service and point it there.

If you need more details, let us know.

wh00ps, didn't see teh whole static thing (;

Good Guru

wh00ps, didn't see teh whole static thing (;
    ;D

I have ATTBI ( AT&T Broadband Internet ) and all my ports are wide open ( Is it a good thing?? Hell yeah for me. ;D )

Ok, guys, YES I have a static IP from RR

I have been told to use granitecanyon but my Registrar recommended to me www.mydomain.com

I opened an account at www.mydomain.com with the Plus service. *I have not yet edited the settings there like the CName, MX Recods, IP, or DNS but I am ready to one and for all get this going

For a complete detail you can visit here where someone else is helping me as well http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=13911

Good Guru

Good if you are getting it going. Let us know when you hit the wall... KP is mydomain.com expert and I've had a few domains set up as well with them.

Good luck...

What file Do I add the four DNS entries mydomain.com gives

Is it the /etc/resolv.conf