Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DHCP database

DHCP database

Hi folks.
    1. We run dhcp on novell 4.11 server and I want to move it tp linux box. Is there any way to move existing dhcp database from novell box to linux?

2. If I don'tmove database and simply replace novell box with linux one (with the same ip address) then what will happen to the workstation that already have a lease from 'old' novell sevrer?
    thx.

Good Guru

Re: DHCP database

I dont' know about moving the database thing since I don't work on Novell at all.

But if you move over the DHCP box rather quickly ( by which means you had less than a few minutes of gap between two servers ), then the clients will rarely noticed. Or else all they need to do is issue simple command such as ipconfig /renew and you are done.

All that will happen is the old boxen will try to renew thier lease when it's 1/2 way through, and of course, your new DHCP server won't let them.. They should eventually time out on the lease then request a new one.

THe only problem you will have, your new database won't know what has been taken already, so new boxen booting up may be given addresses already in use from old leases. Best idea, plan a network outage, and request that all DHCP clients be rebooted or request new IP's.

"Best idea, plan a network outage, and request that all DHCP clients be rebooted or request new IP's. "
    - Well...we're talking about 700+ nodes, that's why I was thinking about moving database to linux.....

"Best idea, plan a network outage, and request that all DHCP clients be rebooted or request new IP's. "
    - Well...we're talking about 700+ nodes, that's why I was thinking about moving database to linux.....
    Well, I'm not sure you will be able to, more than likely its 2 different formats, and it will have no idea what is out and what is in.

Plan it for a weekend or something man, that's what maintinence windows are for.....

"Plan it for a weekend or something man, that's what maintinence windows are for..... "
    This year I was working almost every weekend, give me a break ;D

"Plan it for a weekend or something man, that's what maintinence windows are for..... "
    This year I was working almost every weekend, give me a break ;D
    heh, welcome to bigleague IT work.... Isn't it nice that you have to come in at 2am on a sundaymorning JUST for a friggin reboot that's been needed for a week?

heh, welcome to bigleague IT work.... Isn't it nice that you have to come in at 2am on a sundaymorning JUST for a friggin reboot that's been needed for a week?
    Tell me about it, I've had to install NT server and upgrade to 2k about 5 times in the past 2 days (dumb M$ and thier dumb "fixes" for known issues that don't work, and really should have been freakin obvoius with the first batch of testing) and I'm in over the weekend to finish off, and do what elovkoff wants to do but in doze (I don't know if knowing it can be done on an infearior OS gives you any hope elovkoff). Tonight instead of going out like I should be, I've got to do some PHP stuff, read more about what I've got to do tomorrow and write up an audit (all though I still wouldn't consider myself "big leauge&quot. >

I have to go back to work today (friday, god damn it!) ...for what? Just to kindly open the door to some Bell technician cause our premises are closed after 6 pm. Isn't it wonderful?

I have to go back to work today (friday, god damn it!) ...for what? Just to kindly open the door to some Bell technician cause our premises are closed after 6 pm. Isn't it wonderful?
    Yeah, we have badges and badge readers at the door, but after 6pm even THOSE get shut off, you have to call a security guard (usually waking them up) and have them let you in. Of course, they never check your ID, and they usually hold the door open for you as you cart 10K worth of unix equipment out of the building and into our car : But hey, it's better than us getting in by our selves right??