Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Question about DSL
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about DSL

Question about DSL

I am comparing DSL to cable. I've had cable for a while and like it a lot. Downloading and uploading are faster. And it is a few dollars less than DSL service.

The only problem is that they dont allow servers on the network. The DSL company will.

Now for the question. I pay a fee for the DSL line and a fee for an ISP. Why do I have to have an ISP. Couldnt I just do my own DNS? Am I missing something? What do you get for paying for the ISP? E-mail? I could do that. DO you guys understand what I am getting at???

Thanks
    Jamin

Mentor

Re: Question about DSL

You do need an IP address no matter what an you're getting that from your ISP.

Well I can see your point. The ISP is also the DSL line supplier. Verizon is the name. I think I am going to give them a call anyways and discuss it with someone.

Thanks
    Jamin

Well I can see your point. The ISP is also the DSL line supplier. Verizon is the name. I think I am going to give them a call anyways and discuss it with someone.

Thanks
    Jamin
    I'm not positive but if you go with one of the cheap packages(low bandwidth), you can choose weather or not to have a seperate ISP. It may just be that you don't have an option weather or not to have a backup dial-up for when the DSL is down, though. I have Verizon DSL but it's been awhile since I looked over the packages and what not. I haven't had any downtime in the 6+ months I had the service.

BTW, if you are successful in not having a seperate ISP, let me know. I also have my own email server and other stuff.

Good Guru

Now for the question. I pay a fee for the DSL line and a fee for an ISP. Why do I have to have an ISP.
    Simple. Your DSL line provider simply provide the line to ride from your home to the CO and then to the ISP's DSLAM. You have to pay ISP for their Internet connection ( thus will connect you from that point on to the rest of the Internet ) and then lend you the IP address to use.

Couldnt I just do my own DNS? Am I missing something? What do you get for paying for the ISP? E-mail? I could do that. DO you guys understand what I am getting at???
    Yeah. ISP provide much more than DNS and Email though. For that matter, you can have public DNS or any DNS server on the Internet for it to do just a query. For your entry to have on their server is the one it costs you the most (and there are some free service for it ).
    The most you get from paying the ISP is the connectivity from your home to the rest of the Internet and the allowance of using THEIR IP address for you.

You can only pay DSL line and can get away with not hiring an ISP. That will involve you to have connection to the backbone ( AT&T, Sprint, MCI or UUNET ) and that typically costs you thousands of dollars a month. And then have the license from FCC to have your own DSLAM on the Telco's property and paid the Telco some money for it ( and it's not cheap, mind you ). After that, all you need is to get IP address(es) from IANA or ICANN ( or some shit like that ).

<edited> Tags </edited>

Compunuts.

Why dont you just rip my heart out and shove it done my throat . Well I guess that ends that quest.

Thanks guys!
    Jamin

P.S. Has anyone ever gotten Verizon to lower there monthly rates for you?

I've always wondered about this. We basically lease bandwidth from our ISP, who leases it from someone else, who leases it etc ... . It's the wholesale and retail concept. But who ultimately owns the means to connectivity? I guess whoever owns the big routers and equipment and optical cable lines running all over the world owns the ultimate means of connecting. An ISP basically leases an OC4 line or something like that, and then carves it up and leases little pieces of it out to customers, i.e. T-1, Cable, DSL, etc ...

Good Guru

Oh yeah! All that comes down to it, AT&T ownz all of the stuff. That's why companies like Global crossing and PSINet goes bankcrupt (sp??) and we don't even notice it but it have major impact on Internet stuff since it carry many data pipes. We worry too much about Covads and stuff but all we need to worry is companies like QWest and AT&T cutting down the pipes...

Mentor

I am comparing DSL to cable. I've had cable for a while and like it a lot. Downloading and uploading are faster. And it is a few dollars less than DSL service.

The only problem is that they dont allow servers on the network. The DSL company will.
    i would double check with verizon on the allowing servers because i have verizon dsl and they DO NOT allow servers

Now for the question. I pay a fee for the DSL line and a fee for an ISP. Why do I have to have an ISP. Couldnt I just do my own DNS? Am I missing something? What do you get for paying for the ISP? E-mail? I could do that. DO you guys understand what I am getting at???

Thanks
    Jamin
    Verizon IS the ISP, you pay one fee to them and they give you your ip address ( via dhcp everytime you sign on to the verizion servers you get a new ip), e-mail address (e.g. bob.lucci@verizon.net) *AFAIK they use dhcp they do not give out static ip's.

Mentor

i would double check with verizon on the allowing servers because i have verizon dsl and they DO NOT allow servers
    I am running a server on Verizon DSL ...