Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Domain Hosting AGAIN!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domain Hosting AGAIN!

Domain Hosting AGAIN!

Hey all, no I am not trying to boost my message numbers I have an actual question. Running RH7.2 with ADSL

Okay now I have a static IP ;D
    I have a fully qualified Domain Name (btshadows.net)
    I have my fully qualified DN parked at www.domainsnext.com
    I have apache setup on port 80 (using dns2go) it works great but that is assuming I had a dynamic IP.

What I need to know is RH7.2 has a dns configuration tool. In it is a 127.0.0-in.arpa blah blah. Do I need to add my domain name?
    If so what the heck is all that greek writing there. (You know the fill in the blank boxes).

Is it necessary to even use dns on my system since my domain is parked and ns1/ns2 is being resolved to domainsnext?

From here how do I set up a mail server (I think Courier MTA) sounds the most promising. I have tried other email servers in the past and have always needed an MX record, just where is that located and what is in it?

Okay well thanks I am sure this thread will be informative and hopefully long.

One more request take it simple you are working with a middle aged man who has troubles getting technical

Rastar

Re: Domain Hosting AGAIN!

Ok.

First, web pages are resolved using A records from a DNS server.

Since your domain has DNS done by somebody else, it's that somebody else that has to hold the A records. So, if you want www.btshadows.net to resolve to your box, so you can host the webpage for that, you need an A record to point to your IP address.

Honestly, you don't need any thing related to DNS servers on your local box.

If you need dns service, you can use www.mydomain.com they offer free DNS service, very cool, and quite a few people here use them.

Second, Courier, VERY good choice, I love it.

You will need an MX record. MX records are to mail servers like A records are to web pages. It's the Mail eXchange record, so that SMTP servers know where to send all the mail for @btshadows.com

Once again, www.mydomain.com can handle this, since it's just another DNS entry.

Hopefully I've helped, and not added more confusion?

Ok.

First, web pages are resolved using A records from a DNS server.

Since your domain has DNS done by somebody else, it's that somebody else that has to hold the A records. *So, if you want www.btshadows.net *to resolve to your box, so you can host the webpage for that, you need an A record to point to your IP address.

Honestly, you don't need any thing related to DNS servers on your local box.

If you need dns service, you can use www.mydomain.com * they offer free DNS service, very cool, and quite a few people here use them.

Second, Courier, VERY good choice, I love it.

You will need an MX record. * MX records are to mail servers like A records are to web pages. *It's the Mail eXchange record, so that SMTP servers know where to send all the mail for @btshadows.com *

Once again, www.mydomain.com can handle this, since it's just another DNS entry.

Hopefully I've helped, and not added more confusion?
    Always knew I could trust KP to come to my rescue. I just created an account at mydomain.com and now I my domain name does not work. Give it a try anyone www.btshadows.net or try telnet://btshadows.net:2000 and tell me if you can access it.

I am sure I will have many questions KP about the mydomain configuration screens like cname, ip pointing, mx, a record etc. I hope you will be around to help.

Thanks
    Rastar

Yeah, since you have a static IP, you will want IP pointing for your web stuff, and just MX for your mail.

DNS takes roughly 24/48 hours to take effect across the net, so you will have to wait for your domian to resolve again.

Make sure you inform your registrar that mydomain.com is now the SOA dns server for your domain.

Yeah, since you have a static IP, you will want IP pointing for your web stuff, and just MX for your mail.

DNS takes roughly 24/48 hours to take effect across the net, so you will have to wait for your domian to resolve again.

Make sure you inform your registrar that mydomain.com is now the SOA dns server for your domain.
    I inputted three of the four ns names and ip's it only allows for three, but wanted to make sure that I did it right. I put them in dns manager under name servers correct? They also have a place for named servers but it will not allow already known addresses? I will be glad to be making the switch to mydomains.com it seems much easier to work with.

Thanks,

And when I get this all fixed up its on to Courier MTA and of course your help will be requested for configuring mydomain.com and the MX record.

Rastar

Sounds all right to me.

I need the practice with courier anyway, I'm doing a demonstration of a RedHat setup with courier in april for my LUG....

I don't suppose your LUG is in Sierra Vista Arizona is it? :'(

I don't suppose your LUG is in Sierra Vista Arizona is it? :'(
    Nope, GSLUG, The Greater Seattle Linux Users Group.

www.gslug.org

KP I am at the mydomains.com site now and configuring the mail server. I chose Advanced use own mail server and it is asking for a MX Host:
    Add MX: [ ] Distance [ ]

Do I put btshadows.net as the MX I understand if I leave distance alone they will plug in zero.

Thanks
    Ras

What I did was create a new A record, mail.j2solutions.net and pointed that to my IP address. Then I made the MX record be mail.j2solutions.net with a distance of 0