Thread: Configure ftp

Hybrid View

Configure ftp

how do I configure ftp sach that I will be able to log on and upload files from a win 98 to a Red Hat 7.0 linux server

Re: Configure ftp

Linux server, use proftpd. www.proftpd.org <-- has some real good FAQs and step by step setup. Then from windows use whatever client u like

PS, if its a local network, why not use Samba?

I have been stumbling with samba and I downloaded the last version from the net only It is on my windows mechine and I wanted to trasfer it to the linux mechine to install it

Thanks!

Once you get samba, use SWAT or Webmin to help you configure it. Alot easier with the web-based tool than fiddling with text configs. Good luck!

Mentor

Once you get samba, use SWAT or Webmin to help you configure it. *Alot easier with the web-based tool than fiddling with text configs. *Good luck!
    We're working on it!
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/Y...90&start=6

:-[ I am starting to getting realy tired

I need to transfer files from my windows computer to the linux mechine. There is an ftp server comes with linux why can't I enable the transfer of files to the linux mechine???

How to configure the existing ftp server????

Good Guru

:-[ I am starting to getting realy *tired
    I'm not sure how you mean by that one but no one here get paid by helping you..... We are here just to help a fellow get it going... if you want the exact help in the first try, get professional service like Red Hat or VA Systems help line.

I need to transfer files from my windows computer to the linux mechine.
    Fine. What the above posters said were all related to that one too. It's just a matter of different types.

There is an ftp server comes with linux why can't I enable the transfer of files to the linux mechine???
    Yes. you can.

How to configure the existing ftp server????
    Grab one of the book here, http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7-Manual/ , and start reading concerning about how to go about it for what you want. Many of us use different version of Linux so we have different approach to this. Depending on the version of FTP server it comes with it, the steps may differ. Those documents will get you going in no time.....

HTH....

Mentor

I'm not sure how you mean by that one but no one here get paid by helping you..... We are here just to help a fellow get it going... if you want the exact help in the first try, get professional service like Red Hat or VA Systems help line.
    I'm pretty sure benny666 meant he was getting tired with the problem not with us...

Good Guru

I'm pretty sure benny666 meant he was getting tired with the problem not with us... *
    Ah, got cha.... ;D

I am very very sorry that you thought that I am tiered of you

you are the greatest I said I was tired of the problem not you by all means.

I managed to figure out the problem with my samba all thanks to you guys 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D