Thread: 64 bit processors? (xeon)

64 bit processors? (xeon)

Building a new system, and wondering what the advatages to a intel xeon processor will be? Anyone have any experience with them? Will I still be able to run software designed for a 32 bit system?

--Greg

Re: 64 bit processors? (xeon)

Xeons arenīt 64 bit. They are the server version of p3/p4 (canīt remember if Intel has started to produce Xeons based on p4. I think they have.).

If you donīt plan to run a server you are just wasting your money if you buy a Xeon.

Good Guru

Xeons are the p3/p4 flavor with an assload of cache. I think they get up to 8MB on chip. So, like ursidae said, for desktop/workstation use they are not worth the insane pricetag. Christ, a Sun would proably eb cheaper (and perform a TON better)

Good Guru

Xeon's are designed to be work horses. They have more cache on the chip and it's based on the Pentium Pro architecture. Intel also makes the P III and PIV version of Xeons as well.

And yes, Xeons are not 64 bit processors so any program we have now a days will run on Xeon machines as well.

I don't agree that Xeons are not for Workstations or desktops. It just depends on what you do. If you are the graphic designer or if you do a lot of scientific calulations, then it's well worth the price. If you just want to use as day to day normal operations, then current chips are good enough already ( hell I think it's even over kills and that's why I run Genome@home on my desktop machine all the time not to waste CPU cycles ). So it just depends. But if you do multimedia stuff, stay away from Xeons and go with normal chips since the MMX instructions on them are much more better than on Xeons.

I'm even thinking to acquire some Xeon machines ( old ones from closed out business sales ) to crunch some genes with GAH... ;D

The xeons do carry a hefty price tag. I don't know why I thought they were 64-bit. Does Intel manufacture a 64-bit processor?

Itanium I think it's called... but what on gods green earth makes you think that you need a 64bit native CPU now... by all that is holy, wait untill the AMD Hammer comes out, then you can keep your old 32bit programs running without having to use software emualtion of 32bit cpus !

Good Guru

They are in the process of making it.. They currently do not manufacture 64 bit processors.

Wasn't really thinking about buying one, just intrested in the way things may be going. Building a new server, but prices of the xeon's will force me to go to dual p3's or a p4. Performance may even be better that way. I see most 32bit software won't be able to run on the itanium without modifications. Wonder how long it will take before all cpu's begin migrating to the 64bit architecture......oh what the furture as in store!

Thanks

Itanium I think it's called... but what on gods green earth makes you think that you need a 64bit native CPU now... by all that is holy, wait untill the AMD Hammer comes out, then you can keep your old 32bit programs running without having to use software emualtion of 32bit cpus !

Wasn't really thinking about buying one, just intrested in the way things may be going. *Building a new server, but prices of the xeon's will force me to go to dual p3's or a p4. *Performance may even be better that way. *I see most 32bit software won't be able to run on the itanium without modifications. *Wonder how long it will take before all cpu's begin migrating to the 64bit architecture......oh what the furture as in store! *

Thanks

You will have quite a wait before all CPU's begin using modern CPU technolog. Until there is a demand, they will not be commonplace on the desktop.

Good Guru

Wonder how long it will take before all cpu's begin migrating to the 64bit architecture......oh what the furture as in store! *
    A very long time, I'm sure....

After all, we are still in i386 compartible mode .... How many software have you seen really tune to run on i686?? And we are still in 16 bit software for god sake ......