Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

connect to internet through a lan

Thread: connect to internet through a lan

connect to internet through a lan

can I configure my linux to connect to the internet through another computer on my lan who is connected via modem??

Meaning I want to share the modem on the client to connect to the net.

Good Guru

Re: connect to internet through a lan

Yes.

For Linux, configure your NIC to use the internal interface IP address of your box that is connected to Internet as gateway IP.

So lets say your other box ( that's connected to Internet has this addresses ).

IP of ppp0 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    IP of Internal interface NIC - 192.168.0.1

Then configure your Linux box NIC as

IP - 192.168.0.2
    Gateway - 192.168.0.1
    Netmask - 255.255.255.0
    Network - 192.168.0.0
    Broadcast address - 192.168.0.255

HTH ....

And of course the machine connected to the 'net has to have connection sharing (for windows) or NAT/forwarding setup (for *nix)

I tried to put the ip address gateway and netmask according to your specification but it didn't work

I work with linux conf
    set the default gateway to the address of my win xp (which is connected to the internet) and set a rout to other networks
    to be 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 and gate way to be the address of the win xp (on my computer is 192.168.1.2
    and still i cant log to the internet.

As for the other suggestion to run a script I think it is the opposit since my win xp is the way to the net and not the linux box

What to do? is there a setup page or source I can look?

Good Guru

First of all, that usually involve two parts rather than one.

The first part is the network addressing part.

The second part is installing the NAT gateway part..... ( as ph34r have said ).

I only outlined the first part of it because that part is only concern about Linux. If you do the addressing from the Linux and you can ping the internal interface to and from your gateway, then that part is successsful.

Whether or not you can use your WinXP to be a NAT box depends. I have no idea how to do that in WinXP so you will either have to figure out your own or some Windows expert BBSes may be able to help you out ......

But I've done with Win2K Professional before and it's possible. I forgot the exact steps involved but it's pretty easy. If I have to go off the memory, it's like right click on the first networking icon, choose ip forwarding option and off you go, I think... :-/ ... But I'm not sure it will be included in WinXP home edition ( but since WinME also have ICS features, I doubt why won't they include with WinXP ).....