Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

To email or not to Email, what was my question?

Thread: To email or not to Email, what was my question?

To email or not to Email, what was my question?

Okay although KP offered excellent assistance my Courier-MTA still sucks.

I am now in search of....
    A pretty easily installed/configured Mail server that will allow me to send email using my domain name ie me@mydomain.com and also to allow for others (I host MUDS) to use theirname@mydomain.com.

Since I am really STUPID please don't try to offer a program that takes a Master's degree to work.

The problem with Courier-MTA is I am stuck at that sh perftest1 1000 user-test blah blah...

After 3 hours on an athalon 900 I still had zero messages anywhere.

Perhaps since I have it installed if someone can get me over this hump I will keep it.

Thanks,
    Rastar

Re: To email or not to Email, what was my question

hmm i dont have any knowledge about smtp servers but I think maybe this could help you:
    http://physeeks.dyndns.org:8000/software.html

Good Guru

I probably am Just missing something, but why arent you just sticking with sendmail/fetchmail?? They work beatifully. Since AFAIK, you still need to register your domain name I suppose there is only preference/security reasons to care about. But I am just curious as to why. No insults intended.

why arent you just sticking with sendmail/fetchmail??
    Because sendmail is a monstrous beast and is a bitch to install and configure.

I once heard a quote along the lines of "I always wondered why sendmail configs look like somebody was bashing their head on the keyboard, but after a few hours of working with it, I knew why."

I suggest you get postfix. Very easy to install and set up (took me 5 mins with no previous experience). Postfix is fully compatible with sendmail, too, so if you have any scripts or anything that rely on the presence of sendmail, they'll work with postfix too.

Ahhh problems solved, I thank you all for your ideas. I fired up Mozilla and pointed to google.com and found CommuniGate Pro.

Let me just say HOLY $h1T. Uhh easy to install okay

su -
    rpm -ivh blah blah

www.yourdomain:8010 (webconfiguration)

Added a user named Jack. Jack sent my true isp an email and it got there.

I replied to jack and son of a gun JACK got his mail.

Thank you again KP I am sorry I could not get courier to run but alas the problem has been solved.

If you are thinking about an EMAIL server for your network give CommuniGate a look at.

Ras

Is it compatible with fetchmail?

Oh boy, forgot to post the url to communigate's website. Don't know if it is compatable with Fetch or not, but I am sure the documents on the website will say so.

http://www.stalker.com

Just to update everyone, I now have successfully installed a mailing list (subscribe and unsubcribe) and mail works great back and forth.

I am so Happy

Rastar

theres an app out there that allows you to config sendmail/fetchmail with ease.

although i forget the name of it since I havent used it in eons......

what about qpopper???

what, the dotfile generator?