Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Ethernet card missing

Thread: Ethernet card missing

Hybrid View

Ethernet card missing

I have recently installed red hat 7.2. I installed this at work and was connected to the Lan and was able to browse the internett with out any configuration. I brout the machine home and connected to the internet and my machine isnt getting an IP at home Iam using cable internett running through a hub. During boot it says that it fails to determine my ip info. I can look in the system info and it shows me my NiC any suggestion of what too do will be greatly apperciated. also its a workstation install.

Good Guru

Re: Ethernet card missing

I brout the machine home and connected to the internet and my machine isnt getting an IP at home Iam using cable internett running through a hub.
    You said, it's through a hub but you didn't say what IP scheme your network use.....

There can be many. If it's DHCP, then you shouldn't have to do anything.. if it's static IP, then you need to tell your LInux box to use static IP.

I'm using the school lab and they are closed so someone please fill in the detailed how to do that for me? Thanks.

try passing your hostname to your isp if you're using dhcp...if your hostname is something like cj3138764-b then type...

your_prompt>dhcpcd -h cj3138764-b

where dhcpcd is the dhcp client daemon and the cj3138764-b is your computer's hostname. *If you have a static ip then try this...

your_prompt>ifconfig eth0 210.20.23.54 netmask 255.255.255.0
    your_prompt>route add default eth0
    your_prompt>route add default gw 210.20.23.1
    your_prompt>hostname Brezer
    your_prompt>domainname your_isp.org

now you need to add your dns servers to your /etc/resolve.conf file. *you should also add your ip address, hostname, and hostname.domain_name information to your /etc/hosts file.

edit: the hub shouldn't really change anything as it's only a repeater, however, if you are on a private network and are nat'ing your way to the internet then you will have to configure the box doing the masquerading.

Good Guru

Yeah, you need to clearly define what kind of network you are trying to work with....

At work, it can be done through the host name and the DHCP server. But at home, you may not have the DHCP server running or you may have. When you say the HUB, what KIND of hub?? Is it the normal repeater kind of hub or the gateway/router hub that some companies like 3COM and Netgear sell for? Those are the hubs that do the NATing for you. What it does is sit between your broadband bridge and your internal network.

So give us more details...