Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

mySQL newbie

Thread: mySQL newbie

mySQL newbie

I part of a small computer consultants company, the sole linux head .. We have a client that wants us to build a Web Site maintain it, and built the Database infrastructure, maintain that as well (its an online school), and we are thinking of offering hosting and what not .. they are open-minded microsofties, meaning if I can put something good together they will go for it ..
    Well I'm not a linux newbie, but I am a newbie to mySQL and php which is what i'd like to use .. We really have until june until we have to put anything together live for the client, and they will work on their ms solution, while I work on this (basically my own version, that is basically all open source based, apache on linux, firewall on openbsd ..)
    My question is how much of a learning curve am I looking at, at mySQL and php, I can do some c/c++, an intermediate beginner at coding i guess you could say. What are some of the better resources etc .. and if anyone has suggestions on what I should do, i'd appreciate it ..

Also, what are some good web-development tools, I'm not talkin bout a Frontpage for linux (shivers), well I think you get the idea .. well thanks in advance ..
    *Vagrant

Re: mySQL newbie

As far as the syntax is concerned SQL is pretty darn easy. I was able to get simple programs (java+SQL with mySQL DB) to work on the first day of learning (I was new to java and new to SQL, but knew C++ very well). Designing a database properly is a whole different story. It looks very easy at the beginning, but the deeper you get into it, you better understand how complex it is. If you start today and spend all your time reading books on databases and writing your own DB apps, you should be ready to do it professionally by the end of june.

I develop web pages in vim.
    Can't tell you anything about php.

hey andrzej, thanks, thats what I was lookin for. Ya everyone has been helpful on this forum, I've found some good php resources. I will spend a good bit of my time learning. Also the DB I will have to create in June will not have to be extremely complex. thanks a bunch ..
    *Vagrant

Advisor

Regarding php, it isn't that difficult, if you know c/c++ programming style, just consult with the documentation at php.net and you should be fine.

Ive just finished a internet app using MySQL and PHP, so if you have any questions, email/IM me