Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux to the rescue...I hope

Kind Mastermind

Linux to the rescue...I hope

Okay, people, two interesting developments have occurred recently.

1. My wife is letting me buy the DEC Alphastation 200...this is way cool. Now I will have a server/workstation that breaks the Wintel monopoly.
    2. My wife hasn't logged onto hotmail in over 60 days, so she no longer has her account with them. She is not happy.

So, I was wondering. How can I set up the DEC so that it querries a web-based pop3 account (such as yahoo mail or, er, hotmail) at a set time each day by dialing out and logging onto the email account? I assume that I will need to use an mta and set up some kind of cron job. Any suggestions? Would a perl script do? It also must be saved in a format that a windows based mail program can read (we have Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape Mail, etc.).

I need your help. If I can show my wife that Linux saved the day, I might be able to get rid of windows completely. At any rate, if I can get Linux to accomplish this task, my wife should be very happy about it. And when the wife is happy, everyone is happy !

Thanks.

Re: Linux to the rescue...I hope

How can I set up the DEC so that it querries a web-based pop3 account (such as yahoo mail or, er, hotmail) at a set time each day by dialing out and logging onto the email account?
    Hotmail is not pop3. This cannot be done, short of writing some kind of script that would input text into the web form and log in for you.

Your best bet is to get a real email account at a real webmail provider. One that doesn't delete your account after 2 months. Hasn't Hotmail proved itself to be insecure enough already?

Kind Mastermind

Hotmail is not pop3. This cannot be done, short of writing some kind of script that would input text into the web form and log in for you.

Your best bet is to get a real email account at a real webmail provider. One that doesn't delete your account after 2 months. Hasn't Hotmail proved itself to be insecure enough already?
    If I am not mistaken, you can use Outlook Express to access and download email from Hotmail. The new Outlook also can download from Hotmail. At any rate, we will use whatever email service my wife says to use . I prefer yahoo, since all you have to do is point your email reader to pop.mail.yahoo.com and it will download everything for you.

Of course, I would still like to know how to set my Linux box up to download the email from an email account at a set time each day. Does anyone know how to do this? I am at work right now and I can't access .com/.net sites, so I can't get the answers that I really need. So, any help would still be greatly apprecated.

Good Guru

If I am not mistaken, you can use Outlook Express to access and download email from Hotmail. *The new Outlook also can download from Hotmail.
    I'm not sure since I haven't used Hotmail for such a long time plus Outlook sucks.

I prefer yahoo, since all you have to do is point your email reader to pop.mail.yahoo.com and it will download everything for you.
    Yeah, I myself prefer Yahoo! if I have to use a freemail account. It's so much easier.*

Of course, I would still like to know how to set my Linux box up to download the email from an email account at a set time each day. *Does anyone know how to do this?
    Fetchmail is your friend. What Fetchmail will do is go out and grab all those POP and IMAP compartible mail servers and drop the mails into the folder of your choice. So that others will be able to read it later. Or grab multiple mail boxes and put it into one box.
    I personally use KMAIL for it. Kmail will get out there and fetch all the mails for me and drop it into its control so that all I have to do is run Kmail and see all my emails from about 10 mail boxes that I have to maintain.

HTH ...

Kind Mastermind

I'm not sure since I haven't used Hotmail for such a long time plus Outlook sucks.

Yeah, I myself prefer Yahoo! if I have to use a freemail account. It's so much easier.*

Fetchmail is your friend. What Fetchmail will do is go out and grab all those POP and IMAP compartible mail servers and drop the mails into the folder of your choice. So that others will be able to read it later. Or grab multiple mail boxes and put it into one box.
    I personally use KMAIL for it. Kmail will get out there and fetch all the mails for me and drop it into its control so that all I have to do is run Kmail and see all my emails from about 10 mail boxes that I have to maintain.

HTH ...
    Thanks for the lead. I will check out fetchmail and kmail.

Now I have another set of questions: since my wife will be using windows, how do I set up her mail reader to read the mail that has been deposited on the local server? Also, how do I set up fetchmail/kmail to automatically dial out and retrieve the messages for me? I can't look at too many other sites except for this one right now (I don't know why, it is strange, but true), so don't tell me to rtfm (I will do that as well). Is this set up using cron? If so, how do I do that (if you could post a .conf file or script, that would be great, as I am sure that it would help me to visualize what is needed)? I am thinking about having the server dial out everyday at midnight, which should be a good time to do such stuff and not get me into trouble with the wife.

I have only used Linux as a desktop, so server related stuff is new to me. I am trying to get as much info together now as I can, so that I can set up the DEC as soon as I get it. I don't want to spend weeks getting everything going, as my wife will expect me to help her out a lot (we will be bringing home our baby before the computer gets here). That will leave very little time between work, a new baby, three other kids, my wife, and my computers. My computers will obviously take the lowest priority.

Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

If I am not mistaken, you can use Outlook Express to access and download email from Hotmail.
    Not the last time I tried it. The hotmail people are freakishly adamant that you log in through the web interface, as far as I know.

since my wife will be using windows, how do I set up her mail reader to read the mail that has been deposited on the local server?
    That's a really tricky question, and I can't answer it without knowing lots more about your setup. Is windows a different partition on the same 'puter as the linux box with fetchmail? Are they different 'puters on a local LAN?

Also, how do I set up fetchmail/kmail to automatically dial out and retrieve the messages for me?
    Fetchmail will check your mail at whatever interval you want it to. It doesn't do any dialing, though. What you need to do is enable dial-on-demand, or get a real internet connection

so don't tell me to rtfm
    RTFM YOU BLOODY MORON!!! ARGH!!! >

(that's a joke, btw).

Is this set up using cron?
    No

Configuring fetchmail is monkeywork. Use fetchmailconf.

My computers will obviously take the lowest priority.
    For shame, sir, for shame.

Good Guru

This is the follow up of my comment about being able to get POP access to Yahoo! for free. I just got this mail.
    Effective April 24, 2002, Yahoo! Mail will no longer provide free POP3 Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers.

If you would like to continue using Mail Forwarding or POP3 Access, please subscribe to our improved package that allows you to:

- Use Outlook, Eudora, or another POP3 client to access and manage your Yahoo! Mail.
    - Automatically forward your Yahoo! Mail to another email account -- even another Yahoo! address!
    - Send larger attachments, now up to 5MB instead of the free 1.5MB limit.
    - Send email without the Yahoo! promotional text at the bottom.*

Subscribe before April 24th and get the first year of service for just $19.99. That's 33% off the regular service fee of $29.99.

Remember, if you do not subscribe by April 24, 2002, you will no longer be able to access your Yahoo! Mail messages by POP or at another email address.

Sincerely,
    The Yahoo! Mail Team

madness.
    Its better to use your ISPs pop/smtp servers.

I use that and HOTPOP, but Ive been having problems retrieving as of late.....

Evolution is way better than KMAIL (which Ive used for the last 2 years) </opinion>

Fetchmail is simple to setup and use, you shouldnt have any problems with that. Outlook SHOULD be able to retrieve mail from a network folder, or you can setup your linux box to work as a POP/SMTP server.

This is all possible because Ive done it before, but I just did it and didnt take notes.

Good Guru

since my wife will be using windows, how do I set up her mail reader to read
    the mail that has been deposited on the local server?
    It can be via many ways. You can set up NFS as well as SAMBA to do that. Or
    you can make a POP server for yourself and your wife and access that way. So
    the set up will be just like you are accessing to your ISP's mail account.

Also, how do I set up fetchmail/kmail to automatically dial out and
    retrieve the messages for me?
    None of the mail server/clients will not do that task. You will have to have
    dial on demand set up separately. What the fetchmail will does is that it
    will check for mail whenever your system get on line.

Is this set up using cron?
    Nope.

if you could post a .conf file or script, that would be great, as I am
    sure that it would help me to visualize what is needed)?
    This is my kmailrc file. This cover three accounts. I leave the rest since it
    will just take more space.

Code:
    [Account 1]
    Folder=inbox
    Name=compunuts@attbi
    Type=pop
    auth=AUTO
    check-exclude=false
    check-interval=30
    host=mail.attbi.com
    leave-on-server=false
    login=compunuts
    passwd=~\°²¯ªë~F
    port=110
    precommand=
    protocol=3
    store-passwd=true
    use-ssl=false
    use-tls=false

[Account 2]
    Folder=inbox
    Name=Winston@attbi
    Type=pop
    auth=AUTO
    check-exclude=false
    check-interval=5
    host=mail.attbi.com
    leave-on-server=false
    login=winston
    passwd=~W°«º
    port=110
    precommand=
    protocol=3
    store-passwd=true
    use-ssl=false
    use-tls=false

[Account 3]
    Folder=.Yahoo Identities.directory/compunuts
    Name=compunuts-yahoo
    Type=pop
    auth=AUTO
    check-exclude=true
    check-interval=10
    host=pop.mail.yahoo.com
    leave-on-server=false
    login=compunuts
    passwd=~Fº¾**
    port=110
    precommand=
    protocol=3
    store-passwd=true
    use-ssl=false
    use-tls=false
    I am thinking about having the server dial out everyday at midnight,
    which should be a good time to do such stuff and not get me into trouble with
    the wife.
    With dial-on-demand, you can set it to retrieve mails every hour or so. But
    then again what she really does is check mail once a day, then doing the wee
    hour helps.

My computers will obviously take the lowest priority.
    Well, dont' worry about kids like Feztaa who won't understand about us
    married people... ;D

Good luck .....

On BTW, Kmail is only MUA ( Mail User Agent ). It's like Microsoft Outlook
    but KDE based. Fetchmail is the mail daemon that only do picking up mails
    from different mail servers and dropping it to the local mail server.