Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help Installing LibDVDCSS

Thread: Help Installing LibDVDCSS

Help Installing LibDVDCSS

I'm fairly new using Linux and the instructions are vague to me when it comes to installing libdvdcss for Xine properly. I'm using PCLinuxOS installed on a hdd and I really like this Linux OS. Anyway, when I tried to play a dvd thru Xine or even Kaffeine, I get errors in both. When I used Xine the first time, it showed what configured correctly as well as what didn't. The one that didn't referred to LibDVDCSS. It also gave me a website to install that properly...http://developers.videolan.org/libdvdcss. So I went there, but it was not clear in how to install the LibDVDCSS. So I went to a different website: http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=99. That website gave the instructions...Installing LibDVDCSS
    1.Download and extract the tarball. Change directory to the folder you just extracted, and Configure it. ./configure --prefix=/usr. Then compile it by typing make, and install it as root su -c "make install". But, I don't understand how to "CONFIGURE" it. Do I do this thru a Terminal session or how? And what are the steps in detail to install LibDVDCSS properly in PCLinuxOS. Other Notes: In Kaffeine I get the error: xine: couldn't find demux for >/dev/hdc<. hdc is my dvd player so that's correct. The errors I get in Xine are: 1. xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/], 2. xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]. However, when I do open Xine, it will find the demuxer plugin: elementary MPEG stream demux plugin. Lastly, what does MRL mean??? Any help would be greatly appreciated by this Linux Novice. ??? ??? ???

Re:Help Installing LibDVDCSS

What linux distro are you using?

Hi,

On the tutorial you indicated, the text in italics is the text you input on the command prompt.
    So, you would open a command prompt, and navigate towards the directory where you downloaded the file.
    Code:
    cd /my/download/directory
    Then, you would extract the file.
    Code:
    tar -zxvf libdvdcss-1.2.8.tar.gz
    Then, change to the newly decompressed directory.
    Code:
    cd libdvdcss-1.2.8
    Finally, configure it by issuing the command
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    Then follow the rest of the instructions.

Trickster's right. That said, if you're using a debian-based distro (Ubuntu, Libranet, or Debian), you can probably install it with apt-get.

Try "apt-get install synaptic" and if that works, open synaptic and search for "css"

You can also probably install it with yum using Fedora, though I don't know how.

Thanks for the info. I used a Terminal called Konsole and it configured, etc. We'll see what happens. However, I may have to do this as root because I'm logged in under my own login, but I am in the root group, but when I used the command "make install", it gave me errors. I'll keep trying and respond with any issues.

[quote author=steel8ball link=board=1;threadid=10308;start=0#msg92939 date=1111598548]
    Thanks for the info. I used a Terminal called Konsole and it configured, etc. We'll see what happens. However, I may have to do this as root because I'm logged in under my own login, but I am in the root group, but when I used the command "make install", it gave me errors. I'll keep trying and respond with any issues.
    [/quote]
    If you are logged in as a regular user, you can become root by using the
    Code:
    su
    dommand. It will prompt you for root's password, then allow you to impersonate it.

I kind of fixed it myself. OK. As far as Xine is concerned, I went into the settings & setup, chose the input tab, went down to device used for DVD playback and changed it from /dev/dvd to /dev/hdc. The reason why I changed it was because in the dev folder, there was no dvd file or folder, just the hdc file. So, I figured, since hdc is my dvd player, I'd try to change that in Xine under the settings, setup, input tab under device used for DVD playback...couldn't hurt. It actually started to work. It will play the beginning warnings, but once it starts to play the video itself, it gave an error "The source cannot be read. Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data (e.g. no disc in drive)...". When I click on the MORE button, under the messages tab, there are several audio_decoder errors, unknown buffer type. Also, in the list, there are several aideo_out problems...they state "throwing away image with pts xxxxx because it's too old...". I set Kaffeine with the same setting /dev/hdc instead of /dev/dvd & it plays just like Xine. Plays the beginning warnings, but cannot play the movie itself. Apparently, Xine and Kaffeine are interlinked in some way, and proof of this is when you go under the Settings option in Kaffeine, there is a selection to adjust the Xine Engine Parameters! So, after these 2 failures, I tried MPlayer. Opened MPlayer, went into it's Preferences, chose the Misc tab, and changed the DVD device setting from /dev/dvd to /dev/hdc. Suprise, suprise. It started to play the DVD properly. It did not play the warnings, it just began at the video itself. So, I've learned that MPlayer is easy to configure and Xine and Kaffeine are too confusing to configure properly. In future PCLinuxOS releases, they need to test a dvd in Xine and Kaffeine to make sure they play properly. I don't think they do this well. By far, MPlayer is a better, more user friendly DVD player. Once again, I use the PCLinuxOS8 for Nvidia distro, and it is installed on my hdd. Otherwise, PCLinusOS is a very good Linux version. Hopefully, this info helps others with similar DVD playing issues on PCLinuxOS.