Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ftp servers

Advisor

ftp servers

I'm running redhat 7.2 right now and have a web server set up. Now I would like to install a FTP server so that I can easily upload files onto the server from anywhere I please. I just want something small and simple, because I'm probably the only one that will be using it. What server should I use?

Advisor

Re: ftp servers

proftpd, it installs right out of the box.. no need to make special configurations in order to get it working (just as long as your user isnt located in /etc/ftpusers)

Advisor

Okay, i got proftpd and installed it, but it won't start. It says that the group nogroup doesn't exist. So I tried starting it under the same groupt that apache runs under #-1 but it says that that group doesn't exist either. What gives? And how can I see all the different groups?

Good Guru

Did you read the man pages that comes with Proftp?? I think it had the instruction on how to set up for anonymous FTP and how to modify proftpd.conf.

Okay, i got proftpd and installed it, but it won't start. It says that the group nogroup doesn't exist. So I tried starting it under the same groupt that apache runs under #-1 but it says that that group doesn't exist either. What gives? And how can I see all the different groups?
    I would make a nogroup.

Advisor

The man page didn't have too much info in it really, but ender was right, i just had to make the group. Now I have the server running, and can log in etc, but does anyone know how to change the base directory of the ftp server? So that I can upload in the same directory apache works out of? Thanx for all the help so far!

The man page didn't have too much info in it really, but ender was right, i just had to make the group. Now I have the server running, and can log in etc, but does anyone know how to change the base directory of the ftp server? So that I can upload in the same directory apache works out of? Thanx for all the help so far!
    By default, proftpd locks each user into their home directory, and this is a good thing. You can override that, *or* you can make symlinks in a user's home directory to the web directory.

OR!

You can use the mod_users module for Apache, and each user gets their own web directory, /home/user/public_html/ and their URL would be http://www.yourdomain.com/~username/

Advisor

I made a symlink but the ftp client wouldn't let me go through it...maybee it's a security feature or something. Oh well, I figured out how to change the home directory and it's all good now. Thanx for all the help!

Advisor

The reason you can't follow a symlink from the users $HOME, is that proftp chroots the account to $HOME, thus you cant follow a symlink from $HOME/my_ftp which most likely would be something like ../../var/ftp/share
    The two directories it would have to skip back, simply dosn't exist on the chrooted account proftp provides.

The reason you can't follow a symlink from the users $HOME, is that proftp chroots the account to $HOME, thus you cant follow a symlink from $HOME/my_ftp which most likely would be something like ../../var/ftp/share
    The two directories it would have to skip back, simply dosn't exist on the chrooted account proftp provides.
    Actually, yes you can. its yet another configuration option I think to follow symlinks. It will appear as being in your homedirectory. Since it's not a _true_ chroot, it can access the files. It's more of a jail than a chroot.