Thread: LAN question

Kind Mastermind

LAN question

Ok, all you LAN gurus out there, I have a few questions to ask.

For starters, I will be using Redhat Linux 7.1 for Alpha (the alpha is not important, other than to show that I can't use 7.2 or .3). I will be setting the computer up to be webserver for the locally connected computers only, and as a dial-out ip masquerading gateway/router.

1. My first question is this: what numbers should I use for the following:

IP address: (I know that there are ranges of private ip addresses, I know what they are, I'm just trying to see what is most popularly used).
    Netmask: is it always 255.255.255.0, or are there other numbers that can be used? How do you determine what the appropriate netmask numbers are?
    Network: is this your ip address with 254 on the end?
    Broadcast: is this just your ip address?
    Gateway: is this also just your ip address?
    Primary DNS: what goes here? I will be setting up my box to dial-out to my ISP.

I have a book which explains what to put into these boxes, but only vaguely (it tells you what the private ip addresses are, but it assumes you are setting up a business LAN, not a home LAN). These values are needed when loading RH7.1 when I get to the Network Configuration page of the setup utility. I want to be able to set things up right the first time, instead of having to spend countless hours trying to get everything configured correctly.

2. Has anyone set up there client computers to access a webpage that is stored on the server? Let me clarify a little bit: at work, whenever we click on Internet Explorer, it brings up the work webpage (http://source). From there, you can access the internet. I want to do the same thing for the computers attached to my server. Of course, the only difference between my work setup and my home setup is that at home I will use dial-out ISP service instead of an always on T1/T3/OC3 line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Re: LAN question

IP address: (I know that there are ranges of private ip addresses, I know what they are, I'm just trying to see what is most popularly used).
    I always just use 192.168.0.0 but of course if you prefer 10.0.0.0 then use that. It really doesn't matter. Just make sure the entire LAN is setup the same way.

Netmask: *is it always 255.255.255.0, or are there other numbers that can be used? *How do you determine what the appropriate netmask numbers are?
    With Class C(private) networks 255.255.255.0 is always the netmask unless you are sub-netting(which I will not get into).

Network: *is this your ip address with 254 on the end?
    Network is 192.168.0.0 or 10.0.0.0

Broadcast: *is this just your ip address?
    AFAIK 192.168.0.255 or 10.0.0.255 is the broadcast

Gateway: *is this also just your ip address?
    If this box is connected to the internet, either:
    A. It gets it gateway IP from DHCP
    or
    B. You use the gateway IP provided by your ISP.
    Otherwise, if it's a client, use the servers LAN IP.

Primary DNS: *what goes here? *I will be setting up my box to dial-out to my ISP.
    It will either get it from DHCP, or you use the information provided by your ISP. On the client, if you run DNS or Caching DNS on your server, you can use your servers LAN IP.

Good Guru

Re: LAN question

1. My first question is this: what numbers should I use for the following:

Whatever. I personally try not to use standard Class C networks' addresses. Although it really doesnt matter. As long as your LAN can see it (if it is to be on a LAN, not in a sandbox). Otherwise make sure that the gateway can so the WAN can get hold of it.

Netmask: is it always 255.255.255.0, or are there other numbers that can be used? How do you determine what the appropriate netmask numbers are?
    This is usually dependent on how many PC's are in the local subnet. If you plan on networking it, remember that the amount of machines on the subnet is nanded to the subnet mask. And the same subnet mask is used for all on that subnet. For safety, if that went wayyy over your head -- just use 255.255.255.0

Network: is this your ip address with 254 on the end?
    If you have a LAN using 1.2.3.XXX with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 , then your network is 1.2.3.0/24 (24 for 24 bits, each octet of the subnet mask is a bit, 3x8 bits is 24)

Broadcast: is this just your ip address?
    No actually its .255. It is never used as an actual IP for a node, just for the LAN to verify the proper subnetting. More complicated than I can easily put into words (no technical writing classes for Schotty :)

Gateway: is this also just your ip address?
    NOOOO!! That is the IP of your gateway device. A gateway is a computer or peripheral that acts as a in-between man for your LAN and WAN. Netgear and Linksys have "routers" that are really just a gateway.

Primary DNS: what goes here? I will be setting up my box to dial-out to my ISP.
    Whatever your ISP's DNS server would be. However you accrue your DNS info, apply it here as well.

2. Has anyone set up there client computers to access a webpage that is stored on the server? Let me clarify a little bit: at work, whenever we click on Internet Explorer, it brings up the work webpage (http://source). From there, you can access the internet. I want to do the same thing for the computers attached to my server. Of course, the only difference between my work setup and my home setup is that at home I will use dial-out ISP service instead of an always on T1/T3/OC3 line.
    Dial on demand?? I dont remember how to do that, I havent done PPP in a LONG ass time. The LDP should have all that handy.

Feel free to bug me. Makes my Network+ Cert feel useful :)\