Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

eth0 and Debian

Thread: eth0 and Debian

Hybrid View

eth0 and Debian

having a bit of trouble getting my eth0 to connect outside of my Debian box. I have the modules installed, and I did a modprobe eth0. I have my /etc/network/interfaces set as:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto eth0
    iface lo eth0 dhcp

I can't even ping my router. Also, where do I set my gateway? Anyone know of a way to easily set this up?

Re: eth0 and Debian

hrm, i have directions i was given to network my linux that i havent actually tried yet, but you can give them a shot.

1. you identify your nic, and figure out the correct module.

2. modprobe nic_modulename

3. plug the box into the hub

4. once the module is loaded, you use ifconfig to set a IP address.

5. ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

and thats the process ive been told. hopefully its that easy haha, but i dunno, if you wanna try it good luck

Good Guru

I"m at school... I will post it when I get home from my Debian box ....

Good Guru

I have my /etc/network/interfaces set as:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto eth0
    iface lo eth0 dhcp
    Hhmmm.. I don't know how your network is configured so here is the shot in the dark ....

The first three lines in your interfaces file seems to be correct but the next line should be
    Code:
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    ( and that's how in my gateway box is with ATTBI braodband and getting my IP from DHCP server )

Also, where do I set my gateway?
    You do not set the gateway if you are getting IP from DHCP sever. The DHCP client daemon will overwrite your gateway setting anyway if you even do so. The gateway info is essential only if you are using the static IP address and needed to add the route info to instruct your IP stack where to hop next ... But for your info, the gateway info is set in the file called /etc/gateways .... Debian's configuration files are very well exampled so it's pretty much self explainatory.

HTH ...

iface eth0 inet dhcp
    That's what I have actually. Just was typing from memory. :P

As for the gateway, I need it to know to connect to my router. As for the documentation, I'm all up for it, as long as I know where to find it. :P

Ok. Dumb me. Got the mods eorking correctly now. I set my 'route' lines, and now I can ping stuff, but I can't seem to connect to the Debian ftps.

BTW: Where do I put the 'route' lines to start up with the system?