Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Samba to access a WIN2k Printer--Im stuck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samba to access a WIN2k Printer--Im stuck!

Samba to access a WIN2k Printer--Im stuck!

Ok, let me go over the situation. I am a little famailar with Samba (have my home LAN browsing and printing just fine), but am stuck at work. Right now I have a Win2k box at work until I can get this linux box up and working perfectly, then I get a Linux box at work!!!!

OK, so heres the setup: The linux box is on our local LAN (CNI.local) so the name is linuxbox.CNI.local. I installed Samba and xfsamba/Linneighborhood. From either one of those programs I can see all the computers on the LAN. But I cannot access them. What I need to do is access the shared printer on a box call CNIWRK08 (WIN2K) and print to it from the linuxbox. The printer is a Samsung ML-1210 laser (cheapo laser).

When I try to access the box, I need to scan as user (it asks for user/pass). Now I made a user on the linuxbox called samba and made one on the CNIWRK08 box samba. Same passwords. The thing is, the guy on the win2k box logs into the domain with his name/pass (jay-pass). I cant log in to the linuxbox with the same name/pass or use his name/pass to access the printer. I need to be able to log into my linux box with my name/pass (rick/pass) and print to his box. Simple enough?

What steps do I need to do to get this working. Im really stuck and I gotta get it working by Friday! ANy help would be great!

Thanks

Re: Samba to access a WIN2k Printer--Im stuck!

What distro are you using. Does it have printtool installed? If so, just open up a root shell and run printtool. There will be an option for setting up an SMB printer. Just feed it the appropriate domain info and username/password. That should be it.

Mandrake 8.2....Thanks I will try printtool out. The question I think Im worried about is, what is the correct user / pass? As in what do I need to do to both boxes as far as users/passes go so I can access that printer? Right now I get to an enter user/pass box and none of the users I try work (I tried using the user/pass off the Win2k Box (jay/pass), I tried with a generic user I made named samba which didnt work. Thats what I dont understand.....

The question I think Im worried about is, what is the correct user / pass?
    AFAIK, you just need to feed it a user/password for a valid account on the domain that has print permissions to the printer. If you are on a Windoze domain, the user might have to be created at the domain-level, then put into a local group on the Win2k box that has access to the printer. By default, the everyone group should already have access to print to this printer, but you might want to make sure that there are not tighter restrictions. I usually use printtool to connect to a Win2k print server from my RH and SuSE boxes, and I simply use my NT domain account. I have never had to add this acount to my Linux boxes (other then in the appropriate fields in printtool) and I have never made generic accounts like "samba." (I really don't like putting generic accounts on my domain. They are not a good practice). Your best bet is to use an already existing valid account on the domain, then use or create an appropriate security group for that user. Assign that group print permissions to the printer.

Ok now Im starting to get somewhere I can use a LAN client and connect to the computers now...But still cant figure out how to get it printing right. Using printtool or printerdrake I have to manually put in things, like Samba name, ip , etc. The thing is, I guess the hostname would just be CNIWRK08 but theres no way I can put in an IP b/c we use DHCP. I tried with just CNIWRK08 and CNIWRK08.CNI.local and still no printing......

There was a tool I used at home that I think would help me alot. It was some sort of printer setup that let you browse the LAN and just click on the printer you wanted... any ideas?

Using printtool on RH (which seems to really be printconf-gui) I inserted the following information:

Share: \\host\\shared_printer_name
    user: my_Win2k_domain_user_name
    host IP: I left this field blank
    password: my_password
    workgroup: my_SMB_domain_name (meaning DOMAIN, not mydomain.edu).

The shared printer I attached to has print permissions assigned to any valid domain user, so my general NT domain account worked with it. That was literally all I did. It took about 30 seconds to complete. I didn't have to visit the print server once, nor create any additional users on my linux box or locally at the server.

Another question: does local printing work? The only reason I ask this is because I had massive problems setting up smb printing on a BSD box and associated the problem with Win2k permissions. In the end, I found out I didn't have the print spooler set up correctly. I was blaming Windoze and Samba, but the jobs were never making it out of the spooler to even become a network issue.

Ok thats some good info, I will try those fields as soon as I get a chance here. Will post back soon, thanks again!

Ok, I tried using printtool and no luck.. It cant connect to it. I found the graphical tool I was thinking of, its in KDE control center. It lets you scan the network with a GUI (like xfsamba) and I see all the boxes in my domain, but I cant see the shared printers. I need to scan as user to see the shares and then even I dont see the shared printer. What else can I try to do to get it to see the Win2k printer? the printers name is JayP's Printer. Is it the space and apsotrophe maybe?

Grrrr, so close to a linux box, so close.....

Maybe there are some samba things I havent done? I never even configged Samba at all, just installed it and I can view all the boxes and if I scan as user i can see the default C$ share ..... Would there be anything I need to do with Samba? Thanks so much for trying to help me

Rick

I have been able to get Samba+CUPS to work somewhat with WinXP.

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/Y...num=1020723646

Another dumb question:

Have you tried restartding lpd from the command line or done a "echo test | lp" to see if it produced any errors?