Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samba to access a WIN2k Printer--Im stuck!

Re: Samba to access a WIN2k Printer--Im stuck!

Tolstoy: heres what that gives me:

Code:
    [root@linux root]# echo test | lp
    request id is Printer-2 (1 file(s))
    And Ashcrow, that link is gone?

Maybe its a Samba setting? I still cant see the printers even, just the boxes...

Tolstoy: heres what that gives me:

Code:
    [root@linux root]# echo test | lp
    request id is Printer-2 (1 file(s))
    And Ashcrow, that link is gone?

Maybe its a Samba setting? I still cant see the printers even, just the boxes...
    Looks like one of the mods delete my thread for some reason ???. You should be able to see the printer and printer drivers via xfsamba.

Ashcrow, using xfsamba I can see all the computers. And i can see the shares when I enter a user/pass. The shares are the default C$, the ADMIN$, and the PRINTERS$. Thing is there is no actual little picture of a Printer like there is when I do it from my home LAN. Inside the Printers folder there are 2 more folders, color and win32x86.

Thanks so much for the help so far, I think we almost got it!

http://mumford1.dyndns.org/~bs7452/linuxhelp/cups.html .. that helped me get to the bleeding edge of working.

Doh, another week still not printing to the Win box.... I think i might have figured out the main problem right now, the linuxbox needs to be added to the domain. I cant browse the linux shares from a win pc either right now.... Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully Monday we get it working!

Using printtool on RH (which seems to really be printconf-gui) I inserted the following information:

Share: \\host\\shared_printer_name
    user: my_Win2k_domain_user_name
    host IP: I left this field blank
    password: my_password
    workgroup: my_SMB_domain_name (meaning DOMAIN, not mydomain.edu).
    I'm with tolstoy. *Usually configuring Linux to print to Window's printers is a very easy process. *I use the GUI app that comes with Red Hat 7.2 & 7.3 named printconf. *It prompts for the same info as tolstoy listed above. * For a workstation, I'll just select the Workstation install option in Red Hat. *No need to install Samba. *Once the installation is complete, I run printconf and in 30 seconds, I'm printing to the Windoze printer. * I've never had to create a computer account in the NT DOMAIN for a Linux computer. *I've never had to create special accounts. *Just use a valid username/password in the NT DOMAIN.

The only thing I'd watch for is that you use the Win2k machine's NetBIOS name, not the host name. *Usually these are the same but they can be different. *Watch for that.
    You may need to put in an IP address if the computer is on a different subnet. *It may not be able to resolve the NetBIOS name to an IP address if they are on different subnets.
    The workgroup name is the name of your NT DOMAIN.

I think having a space in your share name is giving you problems. *That's a real no-no. *I'm suprised you're getting away with it, even in Windoze. *I don't think the apostrophe should be a problem but I'd remove both of them.

Good luck!