Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Trouble Getting Cable Internet To Work in Linux.

Thread: Trouble Getting Cable Internet To Work in Linux.

Trouble Getting Cable Internet To Work in Linux.

Hi
    I Got Cable Internet to work in Windows, But need help in linux.
    Because ive been hacking around and doing a whole bunch of stuff in some files and not in others.
    I have to set the IP address of the eth1 card to lets say "123.123.123.123" The Subnet Mask is "255.255.252.0" the gateway is "203.79.116.X"
    DNS is "203.96.152.4 or 12".
    I have one eth card (eth0) that I dont want to touch and is for use over the network. the other is eth1 for the internet.
    It would be better if you could tell me how to set up all the IP stuff via GUI's rather than text editors and command line prompts.
    thanks

Re: Trouble Getting Cable Internet To Work in Linu

hi xin,
    welcome to linux junior!
    1st thing we need to ask is what distro you are using, most use different config tools. for redhat 7.3 try redhat-config-network, for redhat less that 7.3 and greater than 6.1 try netcfg or linuxconf - all a quite easy and intuitive.

Hi
    Im using RH 7.2, but my linuxconf is missing like a majority of its menu-options, would you reccomend getting 7.3? or should I wait for 7.4?
    I think my problem is linux dosnt know to use eth1 for external conenctions
    Thanks

hello,
    try netconf or netcfg - else install linuxconf and linuxconf-gui - these should be on the 2nd install CD

Good Guru

Use Red Hat's Network configuration scripts in Gnome ( big-foot ) --> Programs --> Systems --> Network Configuration . To configure the xDSL connection ( or ISDN or whatever ), you can use "Internet Connection Wizard" in the same menu area as above.

HTH ....

Good Guru

I think my problem is linux dosnt know to use eth1 for external conenctions
    You can do it in "Network configuration" area.

Good Guru

I have one eth card (eth0) that I dont want to touch and is for use over the network. the other is eth1 for the internet.
    It would be better if you could tell me how to set up all the IP stuff via GUI's rather than text editors and command line prompts.
    thanks
    Well, in RedHat 7.x series, there is a tool somewhere in the KDE menus that does that very thing. It allows you to pretty much do anything that you could in WindowsNT/9x and much more (like aliasing, IP forwarding etc.)

Its listed as the Network Configuration Utility (or something like that, I am not on my Linux box at the moment)

Hi
    I looked in linuxconf just now, what do all of these things do?
    in the Networking>Client Tasks>Routing and Gateways>Set Deafults do I enable Routing?
    in Networking>Client Tasks>Routing and Gateways>Routes to other Hosts>add what should I enter in these 2 boxes?
    What are the other menu's for?

Thanks

hello,
    you don't need to enable routing for this box. for gateways add the IP address of the machine you have getting assigned the IP address (if i underderstand everything correctly).

Hi
    Thanks for all of your help, In the end I downloaded netcfg, found out that eth1&0 were disactivated :-[
    and then it worked