Thread: cable connection in slackware

Hybrid View

cable connection in slackware

My ISP (Comcast) uses DCHP for my cable internet connection. I am attempting to set this up on my box (Slackware 8.0). How difficult is this to do? Can anyone point me in the right direction? All of my searches thus far have turned up either empty or a bit more advanced for me still (too cryptic). I am not necessarily looking for an "idiot's version" of how to do this, but a more newbie-friendly version than what I've found so far (just a mini-HOWTO for dchp).

Thanks!

Re: cable connection in slackware

I used to have a cable connection. When I installed Slack8, I just set up my nic to get an ip from DHCP and that was it. However, Time Warner didn't used to have any type of authentication, afaik. If your ISP has some authentication method, you may need to get a client software.

If it's like most cable providers, it's straight-up dhcp. Head over to http://www.linuxdoc.org/ That's where I found a mini-howto on dhcp and it walked me right through it. IIRC, it's just a matter of obtaining the dhcp client and starting it up when your internet's plugged in.

After seting up the right nic via the installer and selecting dhcp it worked right out of the box.

Re:cable connection in slackware

Just thought you'd all like to know...this is my first post from inside my newly working Linux setup...the dhcp is working with no problems! Thanks to all the advice and help along the way ;D

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=deepfreeze link=board=4;threadid=956;start=0#38179 date=1024172308]
    Just thought you'd all like to know...this is my first post from inside my newly working Linux setup...the dhcp is working with no problems! Thanks to all the advice and help along the way ;D
    [/quote]

That's awesome, congratulations!!! I applaude you, deepfreeze!

I use Comcast too, and my DHCP connection works fine as long as I have a single NIC. But as soon as I install a second, it stops working! Does anyone know how to fix this?

PS. - Sorry to dredge up this old post!

PPS - I use RedHat 7.3

Thanks,
    Joe of 4Life
    http://4life.tk/

Good Guru

Did your NIC change device name on ya? I noticed that several times, when adding multiple NICs, the ethXX assignment changed on me. What I suggest doing is a

ping -I 192.168.1.1 google.com

the -I is a dash 'eye' and the IP is your DHCP resolved IP. And see if that works. IF it does, then you need to set your gateway. If not, check your DNS settings too (as in addition to the gateway settings).

Did your NIC change device name on ya? I noticed that several times, when adding multiple NICs, the ethXX assignment changed on me.
    ping -I 192.168.1.1 google.com
    I already tried to connect to the internet, and I already tried to ping this computer (my WinME box), so maybe that is the problem!

Thanks,
    Joe of 4Life
    http://4life.tk/

Good Guru

Well, let me know whats up. I have used, albeit rarely, DHCP and RedHat and slack a few times. I really didnt have a problem with either. Didnt really care though for having a somewhat random IP, so that all got changed