Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Questions on ntp (network time protocol)

Thread: Questions on ntp (network time protocol)

Questions on ntp (network time protocol)

Hi,

I've a question in ntp. I've successfully installed ntp on Redhat 7.3 but I'm not sure how to use it.

How can I know if the my system time sychronize to the ntp server time??

Are there any command to show and configurate time on linux??

It seems that ntp fails to look at the file /etc/ntp.conf for configuration. Although I insert the line "server clcok.via.net", it still can't recognize the new server??

Thanks in advance.

William

Re: Questions on ntp (network time protocol)

I have it running on RH 7.0.

I'm using ntp.ourconcord.net and nss.nts.umn.edu

I initially had problems because my firewall was blocking the UDP packets that the time server was sending.

Check your messages log for denied packets from those servers.

Also your machines local time must be within 1000 seconds or it just won't sync.

It takes a while to syncronize, after about 15 minutes, you should see the time on the machine has shifted and locked on to the correct time.

You can use the ntpq program to debug problems. See /usr/local/docs/ntp-4.0.99j/debug.htm for instructions

Also if you reboot your machine it won't automatically re launch unless your tell it to start that service at startup.

In RH as root run setup then go to system services and set ntpd to on.

hope this helps.

Thanks for your help ;D

By the way, do you know if there are any commands to show and config time??

In addition, how can I know if the time is sychronizing?? I mean is there any command to show the status or something??

William

All I've seen is the ntpq and ntpdc command then type help for the options.

The doc files have a lot on these tools, but their not a simple "is it working" check.

I don't know of any simple check method other than going to www.time.gov and compairing it to your computers time.
    (it displays US time whithin an few tenths.)