Thread: Setting up a gateway computer

Setting up a gateway computer

Ok, I finally have enough spare parts to bring my old Pentium 200MHZ back to life. What I'd like to do is set up the old machine with Linux and use it as a gateway computer, between my computer and the internet.

The plan is to run Linux with a firewall on the old machine. So I'd put a NIC in the old box and connect the cable modem to it. Then there will be a NIC in my main box.

Question is, do I need a network hub, or can I use two NICs in the gateway box to accomplish the same thing? Run a cable from the NIC in my main machine to NIC2 in the gateway box, then cable NIC1 in the gateway box to the cable modem.

Can that work, or do I have to have a hub?

I'm new to this setting up a network thing. Any help appreciated.

Re: Setting up a gateway computer

The firewall/gateway box should be between the cable modem and the rest of your lan.

cable modem -----------nic1 gateway/firewall nic2-------------comp or hub

I have always used smoothwall as a firewall, mainly because I'm lazy. I will try OpenBSD some day.

You don't really need a hub unless you want to connect more than one PC behind the router/firewall; however, you will need to use a crossover cable between the two NICs.

Good Guru

Question is, do I need a network hub, or can I use two NICs in the gateway box to accomplish the same thing? Run a cable from the NIC in my main machine to NIC2 in the gateway box, then cable NIC1 in the gateway box to the cable modem.

Can that work, or do I have to have a hub?

I'm new to this setting up a network thing. Any help appreciated.
    You need a hub/switch only if you are going to share the internet access on the LAN. Otehrwise, as previously mentioned, a crossover cable is more than adequate.

Mentor

Can I add my 2 cents in here?

A word of avise about the nic card, install them one at a time!

Make sure 1 is in a working before installing the other, learned form experience.

all that i need to say is --> www.smoothwall.org.

I just have one computer now hooked directly to the internet via a cable modem. I have iptables running on that. Since I have this old Pentium 200 which won't do much, I though I could set it up as a gateway computer, running just Linux and iptables with packet forwarding and ip masquerading and all that enabled.

I'd connect the cable modem to the gateway computer on the first NIC, then cable the second NIC directly to the real computer which will be the "internal" computer with an internal network reserved address, with all the real stuff on it.

It will just be these two computers so I don't think I need a hub right now.

I'll check out that Smoothwall.

Thanks for the responses.