Thread: SCSI Tape Backup

SCSI Tape Backup

Greetings All,

I am currently attempting to make a DEC TZ885 tape backup/changer run under Redhat Linux 7.x. I've got the SCSI card working as far as I can tell, the device is ID 1 (the card is 7), and using dump I got it to say the name of the drive once using /dev/st1m (I think) as the device to dump to. The tape is loaded, but it doesn't do anything, and the dump fails. . .any advice/howtos out there? All I have been able to find is stuff about ftape and floppy tape devices, nothing scsi.

Thanks!

Re: SCSI Tape Backup

Instead of using dump.

use arkeia

http://www.arkiea.com

it's a free backup server for linux I use it at work. works pretty well, too

-hope that helps-

I have used this for a year or two. It is kind of difficult to deal with, but once it is properly setup, it works great.
    It will do network backup, or standalone.

I actually wrote this a while back, but it will hopefully be decent enough to help. http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel...danetwork.html

I'm not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but when I was to back up my entire system to a SCSI tape drive, I simply do a:
    Code:
    tar czvf /dev/st0 /

Re:SCSI Tape Backup

[quote author=Uhh link=board=4;threadid=952;start=0#6927 date=1018965051]
    Greetings All,

I am currently attempting to make a DEC TZ885 tape backup/changer run under Redhat Linux 7.x. I've got the SCSI card working as far as I can tell, the device is ID 1 (the card is 7), and using dump I got it to say the name of the drive once using /dev/st1m (I think) as the device to dump to. The tape is loaded, but it doesn't do anything, and the dump fails. . .any advice/howtos out there? All I have been able to find is stuff about ftape and floppy tape devices, nothing scsi.

Thanks!
    [/quote]

For backups, I have to recommend mondo. www.mondorescue.org One of the best backup/recovery software sets I have seen, and worked on.