Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a windoze-free laptop

Re: Buying a windoze-free laptop

Actually they raped BSD and develop the propretary GUI on it ... But still ......

Like Gorn said, you can run Linux on it and I think it's called PPC (I'm not sure) and the other one is "yellow dog" ... Apple has good hardware but price is too high for me ......
    www.linuxppc.com www.yellowdoglinux.com www.debian.org www.mandrake.com www.linuxfromscratch.org

Actually they raped BSD and develop the propretary GUI on it ... But still ......
    I wouldn't say they raped BSD. Even though they added a propretary GUI on it, it still is well within the BSD license. In some respects it's part of the BSD projects in that they like people to use the code.

Good Guru

it still is well within the BSD license. In some respects it's part of the BSD projects in that they like people to use the code.
    Sure ! But why is it okay for Apple to use the BSD codes and it's not okay for Microsoft to use BSD codes?? I mean you see people bitch about it although it's perfectly legal and okay according to BSD license.... That's why I stay away from that fine OS.....

I was going to suggest www.emperorlinux.com, but then I noticed your price range....

Sure ! But why is it okay for Apple to use the BSD codes and it's not okay for Microsoft to use BSD codes?? I mean you see people bitch about it although it's perfectly legal and okay according to BSD license.... That's why I stay away from that fine OS.....
    imho ms was not doing anything wrong nor was apple, the developers choose to use the bsd license

but also apple stuff is under the APL (apple public license) which IIRC is OSA aproved.

imho ms was not doing anything wrong nor was apple, the developers choose to use the bsd license
    but ms is the one who launched the whole anti-open source campaign. but they did use open-source code for their own products. that just doesn't make sense

but ms is the one who launched the whole anti-open source campaign. *but they did use open-source code for their own products. *that just doesn't make sense
    Of course it doesn't make sense - this is the thinking that was necessary to develop Windows into what it is today!

but ms is the one who launched the whole anti-open source campaign. but they did use open-source code for their own products. that just doesn't make sense
    there anti-open source campaign is targeted towards the GPL, they like the bsd liscence because they can take and not give back.

i hate microsoft and all, but they have the same right as everyone else to use the bsd lisense, if the bsd lisense was "free for non-comercial use" then it's not really free....

http://wi111-210.relia.net/ has an option of not having windows.

Kind Mastermind

Thanks pbharris, but both laptops on that site are over the budget. I'm looking for something in the $800-1200 range. Any other suggestions? A no OS laptop would be just fine as long as I can install Linux on it.
    Try http://www.microexchange.com great prices on laptops, well within your range (it's also my range, as well). *Also, http://www.neocomputers.com has laptops where you can order without paying the microserf tax. *They are very willing to answer your questions and work with you.

I just looked at neocomputers website. You could get a p3-600, 256m ram, 20gig hdd, 6x dvd/4x cdrw for 1152.00. Seems reasonable to me. Maybe not.