Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When fans go bad...

Re: When fans go bad...

www.procooling.com

Look here d00d, I was playing around with the idea, but I never got around to building the damn thing.

Good Guru

I heard of a safer fluid that is added to water to make it not conduct. Dont remember what it was called but it was cool as hell. Basically sealed the case up properly (so the drives and such were not affected, and the fluid was filled in. A hole onthe side allowed a separate unit to pump the warm stuff out and cool it. Supposedly worked well.

Water Wetter !

You can use Distilled water and antifreeze for about the same effect.

Hehehe...a friend of mine knows a guy who submersed his entire machine in mineral oil. It would work like a dream, but it's a little too hardcore for me. Although I'd probably do it if I could be sure that I was sealing everything up 100% properly and if I could be guaranteed that my hardware wouldn't break. A starving student like me doesn't exactly have $300 to throw around on a new hard drive.
    Anyways, I took the fan off yesterday, cleaned out the dust both on and underneath it (a phenomenal amount for only a year of use), and greased the fan with cooking oil. I also tightened every screw I could see since something was vibrating like crazy in there. It seems to be working. My box has been running for over a day now and the CPU is a constant 65 C, everything warm to the touch. It's also no longer making strange noises. I checked the fan speed, and the maintenance gave it an extra 1000 rpm so that it averages 5500. I'll probably look into some thermal gel just because. If it's still sitting at 65 when I get home today, I'll replace the cover and keep an eye on it for a while.
    lmsensors does compile and apparently the modules insert just fine. However, I don't think my hardware monitoring tools are supported. I try running sensors-detect and it detects my PCI bus just fine, but when it scans my ISA it can't come up with a single sensor. In order to check the temperature I have to reboot and check the BIOS. I know my mobo comes with some windows software that allows you to monitor power and temperature from windows, and lmsensors looks like exactly the same thing. Is there a way to tell what kind of voltage/thermal monitor you're using? That way I could see whether or not my monitoring device is supported. Is it integrated into the MB or is it a separate sensor? I'm using an ASUS A7V mobo if it matters at all. Sorry for all the questions, but when it comes to this kind of thing I don't know very much.

I have the same mobo , but i never could get the monitoring under linux working properly .. the temperatures where always 10 - 20 degrees higher than the bios. In win it worked .. but now in linux .. ?

If your heatsink is one of those little metal things shaped in a funky looking cube without a fan on top, then you need thermal paste on it. However, if you have a fan on top of that cube dealie, DO NOT put thermal paste on the heatsink and cpu. It will actually make the cpu overheat. The fans purpose is to clear the heat away from the cpu, and it wont be able to do that as well with thermal paste.

I know this by experimenting on my own. My ole 400MHz Celeron fried cause of thermal paste.

Bobby

If your heatsink is one of those little metal things shaped in a funky looking cube without a fan on top, then you need thermal paste on it. However, if you have a fan on top of that cube dealie, DO NOT put thermal paste on the heatsink and cpu. It will actually make the cpu overheat. The fans purpose is to clear the heat away from the cpu, and it wont be able to do that as well with thermal paste.

I know this by experimenting on my own. My ole 400MHz Celeron fried cause of thermal paste.

Bobby
    Umm.. I say always use thermal paste.

The purpose of the fan is not to clear the heat from the cpu, its purpose is to clear away heat from the heatsink. The more heat that gets transmitted from the cpu to the heatsink the better. High quality thermal paste is a great way to increase the cooling of the cpu.

You didnīt fry your celeron because you used thermal paste. I donīt know how it got fried, but Iīm sure it wasnīt the thermal paste.

Yes, I do have a heatsink with a fan on top of it. Where would I apply the thermal paste to transfer the most heat? I'm guessing it's not the top of the heatsink....

Between the heatsink and the cpu.

Arctic Silver is great.

Kind Mastermind

Bobby
    Thermal paste is a conductor of heat. It produces less resistance to heat transfer than simply gluing the heat sink onto the chip. Your cpu probably fried due to some kind of electrical fluctuation.