Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When fans go bad...

Re: When fans go bad...

I take it this would be something I have to compile into my kernel?

I think there are 2 ways .. either compile it into your kernel or make modules .. but for both ways you will have to patch your kernel..

http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/

Good Guru

PS: Schotty what do you use to grease the bearings on your fans? *Just plain oil? *WD40? *Special fan grease?
    Ill have to check and see for ya, but my dad has a can of some lubricant in his garage, so next time I stop by Ill take a look. It is actually a good lubricant. But like I said, my smoking habit and the dusty air is murder on my fans. If I dont keep up on them, they fail and die. My TNT fan went to fan heaven recently. I just need to find some cement to glue a 586 heatsink and fan onto it. This way I can more easily replace the fan.

I checked my fan speed in the BIOS...varies between 4500 and 4800 rpm (I believe it's rpm). *Now I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to fans. *Is this appropriate for an AMD 800 MHz processor? *Either way, something is going very very wrong. *I turned on my computer this morning (it's the only CD player I have right now), and within 10 minutes the smell of burning hardware filled my room. *I pressed reboot so I could see the temperature, and all that happened was a lot of beeping from the PC speaker, and then some strange noises I'd never heard before. *I turned it on an hour later, and it seemed to be running fine. *Generally it runs between 65 and 75 C, which it seems is alright. *It's just every now and then something goes wrong. *I'll try greasing the fan, and possibly replacing it. *I just downloaded lmsensors...hopefully my kernel patches fine and all will be well (my kernel is 2.4.7 and it's a patch for 2.4.5, but it should work considering how close it is). *Thanks.

EDIT: Hey hey! Post number 800! Too bad I can't post as frequently as I did this summer when I had nothing to do. I'd for sure be a Grand Club Member!

i am guessing the fan is okay but soemting else is bad. 5000 RPM is pretty typical. how hot are the HDs?

It doesn't say in the BIOS, and lmsensors won't seem to work for me. I'll try a different version when I get home tonight. Damn it's annoying not having internet access.
    When the thing overheats, there's a massive amount of heat radiating from the processor, so I have a feeling it's not the HDs (they're warm to the touch). Hrmmm...if my fan is alright, could it be a problem with my processor?

Do you use any kind of thermal paste on your CPU ?

Hrmmm...I don't really know what that is, so I'm gonna have to go with no. What does thermal paste do?

makes a nice contact between the heat sink and the CPU. helps with heat transfer.

btw. has anyone here ever tried water cooling ? .
    I would like to know if there any disadvantages, and how high the danger of getting water onto the board is ..