Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
hard drive speeds

Thread: hard drive speeds

hard drive speeds

I have 2 hard drives. Both approiximately 4 gigs or a little over. Ones a maxtor and the other is fujitsa or however you spell it. Anyways I'd like to know which of these drives is the faster one. I need it a simple method of testing them before I waste 30 minutes installing a distro on them and seeing which one is faster. These are both second hand and about 4 years old. Thats why I want to test them and not go by stats on websites

Re: hard drive speeds

hello,
    hopefully they woudl say which mode they are i.e. mode 3, 4, etc....
    mode 4 is faster than mode 5. the faster one will also have a bigger on board cache. if the drives are installed try doing a cat /proc/ide/hdX/cache and also look at some of the other paramters in there.
    hth