Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

sound static

Thread: sound static

sound static

I have this constant static coming out of my speakers. Its not very loud and you can barely notice it when a song is playing. When I plug headphones into the speakers it gets much worse. Anyways I always thought this was my crappy speakers but today I plugged the headphones directly into the sound card. Now I have a little christmas money so I was thinking if this can be fixed with a new card I should go for it. Is this caused by my sound card. Its something like a sound blaster ensonic 64 or 128, and its about 4 years old now. Should I replace the card or are there other ways to fix this static sound. If not what are some good fairly inexpensive sound cards out there that should work will with GNU/Linux

EDIT
    Also when I have headphones on and I move the mouse I can really here static. Even different tones for vertical and horizontal movement and a little squeel when using the scroll wheel

Re: sound static

It could be interference from something else in the computer. Maybe the PSU? Why not *borrow* a friends sound card and try it out in your pc? If you still have the same problem then there is something wrong with your pc. At least you might find out if its your sound card or not and then you won't need to spend your money on something that you might not need.

hmm i muted cd audio and the humming seems to go away, except for the very small static i hear from my low quality speakers

You are getting RF noise interference from inside your computer. Replacing the soundcard would likely fix if the new soundcard is good quality. But, if the RF source is particularly nasty, it may not.

You should try the borrowed card option, if possible, to see.

If you do get a new card, go for the SBLive!. They're great and work really well under Linux (just load the emu10k1 module). Mine was $100 (CDN), but that was at least a year or two ago, prices should have gone down by now

Good Guru

Your soud board or PSU is going south. Try the spare soudcard idea. If it works -- then your card is dying. Then try another PSU. Bad PSU's can cause ALOT of radio interference as well as cross signals to other parts of the supply (which would be why your mouse would be making noises in your card -- PS2 voltages change and are regulated by the PSU).

If you have an ocislliscope you can test the voltages on each dc line and see if the signals are somewhat noisy. My personal bet is that you need a new PSU.

I have this constant static coming out of my speakers. Its not very loud and you can barely notice it when a song is playing. When I plug headphones into the speakers it gets much worse. Anyways I always thought this was my crappy speakers but today I plugged the headphones directly into the sound card. Now I have a little christmas money so I was thinking if this can be fixed with a new card I should go for it. Is this caused by my sound card. Its something like a sound blaster ensonic 64 or 128, and its about 4 years old now. Should I replace the card or are there other ways to fix this static sound. If not what are some good fairly inexpensive sound cards out there that should work will with GNU/Linux

EDIT
    Also when I have headphones on and I move the mouse I can really here static. Even different tones for vertical and horizontal movement and a little squeel when using the scroll wheel