Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Motherboard Question

Thread: Motherboard Question

Motherboard Question

Are DDR DIMMS able to use PC133 RAM or are they not backwards compatable? Also, can on board things be disabled (like audio/video/etc).

Re: Motherboard Question

Also, can on board things be disabled (like audio/video/etc).
    In my experience, onboard stuff is automatically disabled when equivalent cards are installed (in windows anyway). This may not be true for Linux and/or other hardware, though.

Kind Mastermind

Are DDR DIMMS able to use PC133 RAM or are they not backwards compatable? Also, can on board things be disabled (like audio/video/etc).
    It depends on the motherboard and the bios. Some allow for PC133 ram to be used, some require DDR only (I think the boards like the Tyan Tiger require DDR only, but I can't remember). Check out the manufacturers website. If they don't have a spec sheet for the board, email them directly. This way, you get what you want, not what some company thinks you must have.

Word of advise: don't buy a motherboard with shared memory for video, unless the preselected ram settings allow you to regain all of your ram. My motherboard only allows for 2 or 4 megs. So, no matter how much ram I have, I can't use all of it. It is very frustrating.

Good Guru

DDR is not "compatible" with SDR. The CMOS may be programmed to allow it to handle one _OR_ the other. I have never seen both in action due to the technical differences in the operation of the RAM. But I have seen boards with 4 DDR slots and 2 SDR slots. And yes board stuff can be disabled via CMOS options.

On one of my mobos (an old ASUS micro-ATX with on-board video -- MEB-VM I think), the on-board video can be enabled/disabled with a switch.

Good Guru

Jumper? Yeah, my buddy has an older (p3 500) hp that has an ati onboard that I had to disable with a jumper when he upgraded to a voodoo 5.

DDR sticks can't be put into PC-133 slots. PC-133 DIMMS can't be put into DDR slots. Some mobos come with both, not sure if they can be mixed though.

Onboard stuff *generally* needs to be disabled in the BIOS. usually one option will diable all of it.