Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

max ram

Thread: max ram

max ram

This computers motherboard is abit bh6. The manuel says max ram 384 mb. The motherboard has a 1996 copyright. Anyways I'm wondering if theres no exception for the 384 is the max. 256 mb sdram is about 55 canadian so I thought why not. Is it possible the manuel said max 384 (3 x 128) because they thought ram would only be in 128 chips or something. hehe who knows I just want more ram. Hope I didn't start talking to much jiberish. Anyone know if I can get around this? If I add 256 that will take me up to 448

Re: max ram

Try upgrading your bios, that might increase the limit... dunno, never had that mobo in my machine.

Good Guru

Well, actually it is in the firmware on your board. The limit is to what the technology allowed. A CMOS upgrade may help, but dont feel bad if it doesnt. Some of the really expensive boards of the time wouldnt budge with even the latest update as of today.

Good luck though! With RAM as cheap as it is, it would be nice.

strange, the manuel says 384 max yet here I am having done no bios updates and have 448 megs running right now. I guess they just assumed no one would ever want more then 384 megs of ram

Good Guru

you probably have an updated board vs the manual. thats always a good thing !!! Well, hopefully you can get 768MB or so in there easily.

Good Guru

Since you have a 440BX, I did a search to see what the max is. I didnt get a specific chipset max, but the ASUS line caps out at 1024 MB on the 440BX chipset with four dimm slots. So apparently the largest dimm is a 256MB chip. So depending on the amount of slots you have for ram, you can get 512-1024MB. Hope that helps.

If you've got 4 slots you might want to check your manual for slots 3 and 4. They might only accept single sided DIMMS like mine do..or they might accept double sided. IIRC I could go with 256, 256, 128, 128. Or 256, 256, 256.

Good Guru

On my board I have 3 Slots. 0 and 1 are double sided. I found that out after I had ordered 2 256MB sticks. I thought my 128 already in there would be cool. Nope. Though at first my ram was defective! After trying each stick alone in slot 0, I realized that it was me not the hardware

Reminds me of what happened on my B-day. I got a 256 DIMM and had a 128. So being the tech-savvy leet d00d that I am I slammed my 256 stick home in slot 2 (mine go 1 - 4 not 0 - 3). Boot up! 64 megs?! WTF?!?!? Pull out 128 slap 256 into slot one, 256 megs. Put 128 into slot 2, didn't do anything! By now I'm pulling my hair out and rearranging the DIMMs making sure both work..which they do. So! I put 256 into slot 1, 128 into slot 3 and it worked! Only took me 45 or so min to do. :P