Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Small laptop

Thread: Small laptop

Associate

Small laptop

Hi,

I got a laptop 386 with 4MB RAM and 60 MB hard disk, no CD-ROM, only Floppy. Actually there is W3.1 running on it.
    The only thing I need to run on this laptop is an editor. Does it make sense to install a linux system, simply to get costumized to Linux commands, and to get rid of Windows? And if yes, what would you recommand? I tried Small Linux, but it did not run.

Perhaps you may have some suggestions. Thanx in advance.

irox

------------
    irox from irox.de

Advisor

Re: Small laptop

You could try Loaf: http://www.ecks.org/projects/loafprovides you with a fully functional linux distrib, on a single floppy.. If you have a NIC in the machine, then theres a dpk-manager with it, to install further packages.

Or look at the list of tiny distribs: http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/O...ibutions/Tiny/

IIRC, tomsrtbt has an emacs and a vi editor. And it's only one floppy. So you could always boot that, mount your windows partition and do the editing in Linux.

You should be able to fit some slack or debian goodness on there.. I have a 486sx33 laptop that had 4mb of ram and it ran Slack 7.1 fine with a few alterations in the config... upped to 12 and Slack 8 works fine out of the box. Of course, having a PCMCIA nic and modem helps make it more useful.

Check the 4mb Laptop Howto out at www.linuxdoc.org - your laptop can do it!

Slack eh?

Associate

Think I'll try Monkey Linux (http://www.spsselib.hiedu.cz/monkey/). Anybody with experience?

Advisor

Did you know, it hasn't been updated since '97 ?

Associate

Did you know, it hasn't been updated since '97 ?
    Oops, I did not see. Better I won't try. Thanks!