Thread: AMD CPU design flaw workaround

Hybrid View

AMD CPU design flaw workaround

Some of you might have seen this on the dot, but there goes.

A flaw has been detected in the Athlon/Duron chips, which can cause instabiliy, it's supposed to get worse when combined with the use of an AGP videocard.

anyways the workaround is to append mem=nopentium to your lilo command line, or your lilo.conf.

This explained why I was unable to use AGPx4 on my mobo, after the fix - no problems. but beware, preformance might take a slight hit due to the nature of the fix/flaw, as it has to do with buffer size (I think).

www.gentoo.org has the juice, and if you are not man enough to fix it yourself, no worries, Alan Cox is making a dynamic workaround for the future versions of the Linux kernel, so the fix should be included in a kernel tree near you sometime in the near future.

Re: AMD CPU design flaw workaround

hmm i never had any problems with graphics and im using a duron cpu .. but ive enabled mem=nopentium in my lilo.conf

I'm (lucky?) unlucky enough to own a agp card that doesn't really do agp, a voodoo 3 3000. Although it sits in the agp slot, it's just a glorified pci board... still kicks ass though!

Maybe that's why mine would lock up once in a while with one of the OpenGL screen savers. I will have to keep an eye out for a week or so to see if that maybe cured it.

It would only lock once in about a weeks time, so who knows...